[comp.sys.mac] Laserwriter SC fonts

spencer@spline.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (09/29/88)

Does anyone know of any fonts for the Laserwriter II SC other than
those that come with it.  In particular, I like to use the Palatino
font instead of Times, but I don't have the big bitmaps, so it comes
out jaggy.  A source from which I could buy fonts would satisfy me
(getting them free is obviously better).

Also, now that Apple provides the NFNT mechanism for "styled" fonts,
does anyone know of bitmaps for "bold" and "italics" fonts (real ones,
not just slanted versions of the regular fonts).

Please respond by mail.
=Spencer (spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu)

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (09/29/88)

It wold be interesting to try to generate some of the TeX distribtion
fonts in the appropriate sizes and munge them to the right format...

Jon

msurlich@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de ( scheme) (10/03/88)

In article <1209@zippy.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>Also, now that Apple provides the NFNT mechanism for "styled" fonts,
>does anyone know of bitmaps for "bold" and "italics" fonts (real ones,
>not just slanted versions of the regular fonts).

Apple provides the NFNT mechanism since the Mac Plus ROMs.
However, Apple failed to provide a Font/DA Mover (until 3.8, that is)
which actually recognizes NFNTs and enabled you to install them.
I tried to fool around with FOND resources myself, but it's non-trivial.

3.8 still is buggy, however; it seems that if non-styled fonts also are
stored as NFNT F/DAM says "serious error 15" (something like that)
after deinstalling them. Also, there's a pretty unreasonable limit of
how many font families you can have in one font file.
Matthias Urlichs -- Rainwiesenweg 9 -- 8501 Schwaig 2 -- West Germany
CI$: 72437,1357  -- Delphi: URLICHS -- Phone: ++49+911+574180
NetMail: m_urlichs@msn.rmi.de       -- or: (reply and (h)ope