[comp.sys.mac] TCP-IP libraries for Macs and ATs

ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) (09/27/88)

 I am sure that this is an old topic but due to my only recent interest
in this I am looking to find out what TCP-IP libraries are available that
run on Pcs and Macs. I would be very appreciative of some pointers to
where to find out more... Thanks in advance.

		Erik Freed
		UUCP:well!ejf
		(415) 461-5400

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (09/29/88)

In article <7219@well.UUCP> ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) writes:

> I am sure that this is an old topic but due to my only recent interest
>in this I am looking to find out what TCP-IP libraries are available that
>run on Pcs and Macs. I would be very appreciative of some pointers to
>where to find out more... Thanks in advance.
>
>		Erik Freed
>		UUCP:well!ejf
>		(415) 461-5400

Sun/TOPS has got both.  I wrote "TOPS TCP/IP" for the Macintosh last year,
and it should theoretically be available through the TOPS Developer Program.
Brent Noorda did some TCP/IP work on the PC as well, but I don't think it's
been broken out of his terminal program for others to use.  Sun used another
PC TCP/IP for their earlier client-only MS-DOS version of NFS; I don't know
about its availability.

Apple has announced they will have a TCP/IP, as reported in a recent MacWeek.
It was developed by the University of Michigan, primarily.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The time is gone, the song is over.

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (09/30/88)

Apple is showing their new TCP/IP drivers at inter/op.  They are not
the U of Mich drivers.  They were written inside Apple.  They look
pretty good and use some of the ideas that Jacobson (sic) of Berkeley?
did to BSD TCP/IP.

Cheers,
Mark

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/01/88)

In article <23036@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark
A. Verber) writes:
>Apple is showing their new TCP/IP drivers at inter/op.  They are not
>the U of Mich drivers.  They were written inside Apple.

According to a source at Apple who was kind enough to write me, the Apple
TCP/IP implementation was done by Ungermann-Bass.  My UofMich speculation was
based on what Martin Haeberli told me in 1987, which seemed to be corroborated
by recent trade press reports.  I know, it was stupid to believe the trade
press, sorry....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Strong men tremble when they hear it.

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (10/01/88)

In article <5475@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>Apple has announced they will have a TCP/IP, as reported in a recent MacWeek.
>It was developed by the University of Michigan, primarily.
>--

Apple announced MacTCP this week at Interop 88. It is supposedly based
on the NCSA kernel and not the UMich stuff (or something link that).
It is NOT an end-user package but for developers only. Stanford-IP has been
modified to fit as has NCSA Telnet. UB has the first product out on it.

Kinetics has also release a similiar product called TCPport. TOPS has not
released anything like this, period.

Do you know if TOPS will, Tim?

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/04/88)

In article <1300@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber)
writes:
>Apple announced MacTCP this week at Interop 88. It is supposedly based
>on the NCSA kernel and not the UMich stuff (or something link that).

That makes four attributions of the source so far: UofM, Apple, NCSA, and
Ungermann-Bass.  My money is now riding on the last one.  But who knows?

>It is NOT an end-user package but for developers only. Stanford-IP has been
>modified to fit as has NCSA Telnet. UB has the first product out on it.

How nice.  In their usual TOPS-bashing, Apple didn't bother to make us aware
of it when I was there.  I always get a kick out of it when Apple talks about
their wonderful support of third-party developers.

>Kinetics has also release a similiar product called TCPport. TOPS has not
>released anything like this, period.
>Do you know if TOPS will, Tim?

Probably not; the TOPS developer program is a joke.  I have two fine pieces of
software, InterBase and TOPS TCP/IP, which would be perfect for it, but no
one has ever licensed them because the marketing boys at TOPS don't think
beta testing or the developer program are worth a full-time employee.  Grumble
grr hiss boo.  But TOPS TCP/IP stabilized last year, and had the last known
bug removed in the spring; it ought to be available now.  Maybe you could get
it if you asked.

What was that I said earlier about not wanting to appear mean-spirited toward
my former employer?  Oh well....
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Now hear a plain fact: Swedenborg has not written one new truth: Now hear