[comp.sys.mac] IBM's Next User Interfcae

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (09/20/88)

A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
of the user interface developed by NeXt.

It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
need this user interface? It has the Presentation Manager for OS/2? Right?
What's so special about this interface? Any1 any information on this
subject?

Cheers,
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (09/22/88)

In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP> paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
>of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
>need this user interface?

According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle (comical?), the

Greg Yachuk		Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy		why yes, I DID choose that login myself

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (09/22/88)

In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP>, paulm@nikhefk (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
>of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>
>It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
>need this user interface? It has the Presentation Manager for OS/2? Right?
>What's so special about this interface? Any1 any information on this
>subject?

The information about this deal was coming from the NY Times of Monday 9/12.

For the answer to your questions, I guess the best is now to wait the 12th of
October... It is now official, I have even some lucky friends who gets their
Invitation to the show (SF Davies Hall).

For IBM... They want to be able to use the "Look and Feel" of the NeXT machine
without troubles.

The thing I thought was interesting in this deal is that if you look at the
Stock of the company, it is something like: (NYT)

(spelling of name is approximative)

Jobs       7 Millions $
Stanford 1.5 Millions $
CMU      1.5 Millions $
Ross Pero 30 Millions $

So it is a big chunk of money IBM is "giving" them... Ohhh, BTW, who is going
to distribute the machine... IBM might give them some help, who knows?

PS: is there a com.sys.next group? is it time to request it now that the machine
is really coming?

Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (09/22/88)

In article <22387@sri-unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>So it is a big chunk of money IBM is "giving" them... Ohhh, BTW, who is going
>to distribute the machine... IBM might give them some help, who knows?

IBM recently announced that its service centers would be servicing all
different brands of computers.  At the time I didn't understand why
anybody would take their Mac in to be fixed at IBM (except for
companies of course) but if they distribute the NeXT, this could be an
early indication.

Isn't it neat how rumors can start on absolutely no hard evidence
and much irresponsible speculation.  :-)

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
			"Flowers -- Just say NO!!"
					- Mighty Mouse

prime@druhi.ATT.COM (Anthony Davis) (09/22/88)

In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP>, paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
> A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
> of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>
> It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
> need this user interface?

According to a September 19 article in PC WEEK, page 4, IBM is planing to use
this interface for the IBM PC RT under AIX. The ad also discussed several other
licensing agreements that IBM has entered into with NeXT(some were optional).

Tony Davis
AT&T Bell Labs, Denver Co.
net:   att!druhi!prime

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (09/29/88)

In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP>, paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
> A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
> of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>
> It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
> need this user interface? It has the Presentation Manager for OS/2? Right?

Just speculation, but maybe they're hedging their bets:

	Maybe Apple will win the lawsuit against MSWindows,

	Maybe Apple the lawsuit against MSWindows will scare people
away from developing 3rd party applications for it.

	Maybe the NeXT machine will really take off, especially
if they've integrated X-Windows with Display Postscript.  This
could become a dominat window system.

	Maybe the NeXT inteface is just that much better.

We'll see more on Oct 12.

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (10/01/88)

In article <216@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP>, paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>> A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
>> of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>>
>> It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
>> need this user interface? It has the Presentation Manager for OS/2? Right?
>
>Just speculation, but maybe they're hedging their bets:
>
>	Maybe Apple will win the lawsuit against MSWindows,
>  [deleted]

The IBM interest has nothing to do with OS/2.  IBM has announced and
will soon deliver AIX (their Unix) for both PS/2 Model 80's and 370/XA
machines.  They have had a Unix for their RT's for quite a while.

The deal with Next will give IBM access to a "desktop metaphor"
package to compete with AT&T's Open Look (to which IBM doesn't have
access, since they are committed to OSF).  Both packages are based on
X Windows.

IBM has a big commitment to developing AIX.  I have used all three
versions of AIX, and they are very good.  Don't be surprised if their
AIX catches up and passes OS/2 in popularity very soon after it is
available.  My guess is that IBM will eventually switch to AIX and
drop OS/2.  I base my suspicions on the fact that Unix exists, works,
and is very solid, while OS/2 is a poorly-performing piece of junk put
together hastily by marginal hackers at Microsoft.

These opinions are my own.

Tim

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (10/04/88)

In article <8164@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
> The deal with Next will give IBM access to a "desktop metaphor"
> package to compete with AT&T's Open Look (to which IBM doesn't have
> access, since they are committed to OSF).  Both packages are based on
> X Windows.

My understanding is that Open Look has been submitted to OSF for consideration.

I hope they do dump OS/2 for AIX, but remeber, IBM lives with more operating
systems per unit of harware than anyone else (perhaps everyone else combined).

>  I base my suspicions on the fact that Unix exists, works,
> and is very solid, while OS/2 is a poorly-performing piece of junk put
> together hastily by marginal hackers at Microsoft.
>
> These opinions are my own.

Mine too.