[comp.sys.mac] Backdrop INIT Enhancement suggestion

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (10/03/88)

INIT's shouldn't care what their name is... the key reason being so you can
force them to load in whatever order you want!  Reasons:

a) compatibility-- some INIT's don't like being loaded before/after others.

b) organization--  I name all my INIT's zz Name to force them to the bottom
   of the list in the system folder (view by name-- who wants to look at 150+
   icons :-).

c) user-friendliness-- maybe someone wants to rename it for some unkown reason,
   fine, that is their business.  but if they do so, then there is no reason
   why anything should break.

d) security-- if somethine breaks because it is renamed, then what is to
   prevent someone from destroying a system folder by renaming everything?
   System/Finder/drivers are pretty easy to recognize, the prefs files can
   be deleted, but INIT's aren't so easy...

AAsk INIT is NOT public domain/shareware/freeware.  It is BETA from CE
Software and was released by a former beta tester.  Use/distribution is not
legal!  The version that leaked is 1.0b4 and is not stable/sanctioned.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) (10/05/88)

In article <8XFaVxy00UgXIhzoFq@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
>AAsk INIT is NOT public domain/shareware/freeware.  It is BETA from CE
>Software and was released by a former beta tester.  Use/distribution is not
>legal!  The version that leaked is 1.0b4 and is not stable/sanctioned.

But it _seems_ to work ok...  I mean, I _know_ we're not supposed to use it,
but I have it and I've been using it for a few months now (no, I haven't
given it to anyone).  Do you know _why_ it is "not stable/sanctioned"?  I
really wish they (CE Software) would "finish" it and release it - it really
seems like a great program.  Besides, if I'm interpreting it right, all it
does is re-define the file type of any inits that you don't want to run, load
the ones you do want, and then re-define the changed file types back to what
they were.  After that process is done, it doesn't really hang around and
affect normal operation of the Mac, does it?

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke