[comp.sys.mac] Switching systems on a hard disk

thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) (09/28/88)

     A student came in to the personal computing center here with the following
problem:  He has two sytems on his hard disk.  One runs in Japanese but uses too
much of his memory to allow Hypercard to run.  His second system is english and
will allow hypercard.  He would like to know how to switch between the two as
painlessly as possible.  The Japanese system is dependent on certain inits, so
he realizes that he will have to restart, but he needs to know how to control
which system folder will be activated upon restart.  He left before I found
out what kind of mac he had, but his non Japanese system was 6.0.

paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (09/28/88)

In article <10194@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:

>     A student came in to the personal computing center here with the following
>problem:  He has two sytems on his hard disk.  One runs in Japanese but uses too
>much of his memory to allow Hypercard to run.  His second system is english and
>will allow hypercard.  He would like to know how to switch between the two as
>painlessly as possible.  The Japanese system is dependent on certain inits, so
>he realizes that he will have to restart, but he needs to know how to control
>which system folder will be activated upon restart.  He left before I found
>out what kind of mac he had, but his non Japanese system was 6.0.

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  Please post responses.

--
***/\/\****/\/\******/\/\****/\* Saiid Paryavi
**/*/\*\**/*/\*\****/*/\*\**/*/* paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu

6uldv8@Apple.COM (almost awake) (09/28/88)

csnet: 6uldv8@apple.com                          Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP: {sun, nsc, voder}!apple!6uldv8             Disneyland, Ca XOXOX
Disclaimer: My views do not represent the views of anyone at all.
Member: Banzi Social Club, 1988

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (09/29/88)

In article <730@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu>, paryavi@ksuvax1 (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>In article <10194@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> thomas@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Thomas Summerall) writes:
>>
>>     A student came in to the personal computing center here with the following
>>problem:  He has two sytems on his hard disk.  One runs in Japanese but uses too
>>much of his memory to allow Hypercard to run.  His second system is english and
>>will allow hypercard.  He would like to know how to switch between the two as
>>painlessly as possible.  The Japanese system is dependent on certain inits, so
>>he realizes that he will have to restart, but he needs to know how to control
>>which system folder will be activated upon restart.  He left before I found
>>out what kind of mac he had, but his non Japanese system was 6.0.
>
>I would also like to know the answer to this question.  Please post responses.

Use System Switcher. It is a small utility which enable you to choose the system
you want to run (considering that you have more than one System Folder on your
HD).

As far as I know, this utulity was designed to enable the switching between
Japanese and English systems. But I use it to switch from Sys 5.0 to 6.0 (to be
able to play the games which do not like 6.0).

Unfortunately, the Copyright status of System Switcher is not clear. It has been
developped by Canon (copier)... But that's all what it say.

Anybody knows more about it?
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (09/29/88)

System Switcher from Cannon/Apple (Japan) will do the trick nicely.

If I were back home on Saipan with my Mac I'd mail it to you.

Alas, I'm stuck on Guam in a dreary hotel room with a Toshiba
laptop.

If no one can supply this, send me E-Mail and I'll try to send
it to you next week.

mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com

sn0v+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shoichi Nakai) (10/01/88)

System switching programs I know of are:

o System Switcher (distributed by Canon, Japan)
    This program allows you to switch from currently running system to
    the one stored in a hard/floppy disk.  You can have as many system
    folders in a single hard drive as you want.  No partitioning is
    necessary.

o Twain (PDS)
    This program switches the system between "System Folder" and "System
    Folder-J" back and forth.
These are the must when using the Japanese system for the Macintosh.  You
may contact

     Japanese Language Services
     186 Lincoln St,
     Boston, MA 02111
     (617) 338-2211

to see if they can provide these programs.

Hope this helps.
-- Sho Nakai

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (10/04/88)

To all of you who asked me to mail System Switcher, I apologize
for not having been able to do it when I was back on Saipan last
week.  Unfortunately, our Tymnet node was down.  Now, I am back
on Guam, and Mac-less again.

I will be back on Saipan this weekend (10/8/88) and I will try
(The Lord and Tymnet willing) to post System Switcher to
binaries.  (I am convinced that this sort of distribution is OK,
copyright wise - please advise if I am wrong.)  If any of you
do not have access to binaries, or if it doesn't get posted,
send me E-Mail and I'll E-Mail you a copy.

Sorry again for the delay - trouble in paradise!

Michael G Newman - mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (10/05/88)

If anyone wants System Switcher I have binhexed a copy to the moderator of
the Mac Binaries, but will be happy to send it to anyone else if anyone wants
it and can't get a hold of the other person (I just forgot his name, and he is
on the same node as me, how rude) I will E-Mail it to you.  But it might be
coming out on the binaries soon (I mailed it yesterday-10/3/88, I don't know
how long it takes him to post things).

Hope I don't get flooded....

Mark Cookson