[comp.sys.mac] Unexpected $$$ in the mail!

rickd@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (10/03/88)

Hansen@brand.usc.edu.UUCP writes
> Yesterday, I received a check in the mail for $15.00 from Symantec. It
>  was a rebate for LSC 3.0.
>
>  This was unexpected. Has anyone else received the rebate? When I ordered
> LSC 3.0 upgrade I wasn't expecting any kind of rebate. Nor when I first
> ordered LSC 2.0 from a mail order house was I expecting a rebated.

I also got a $15 rebate against my LSC 3.0 upgrade, and I didn't even
_pay_ for the upgrade.  They gave me the 3.0 upgrade free since I had
purchased version 2.15 a few months earlier.

I guess they right way to put it is they _paid_me_ to accept the upgrade.
I graciously accepted. :-)

dcw@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Douglas C. Wilson) (10/03/88)

When I ordered my free upgrade from LSC 2.15, I specifically requested
the $15.00 rebate since this was just the inducement that got me to
go ahead and buy 2.15.  I received the check for $15.00 about 2 weeks
after my 3.0 upgrade in July.  I just received a second check for $15.00
this week.
--
Doug Wilson		    Internet: dcw@rwlvax.chem.unc.edu, 128.109.154.5
Dept. of Chemistry	    BITNET	: WILSON@UNCCHEM,WILSON@UNCVAX

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/04/88)

All this news about $15 rebates for symantec for people who bought LSC
2.15 really turns my stomach.

It still astounds me that someone could buy the software Feb 10, and
someone else could buy it 5 days later under drastically different
circumstances.  The former buyer pays an additional $69 dollars to get
version 3.0.  The latter buyer pays $15 LESS to get version 3.0.
Thats a total difference of $84, about the price of the software.

It sounds like Symantec is ripping off its earlier buyers to shower
its later buyers with $$$.

Don Gillies	 "An unhappy 1/7/88 purchaser of LSC 2.15."
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (10/05/88)

In article <76000292@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>It still astounds me that someone could buy the software Feb 10, and
>someone else could buy it 5 days later under drastically different
>circumstances.  The former buyer pays an additional $69 dollars to get
>version 3.0.  The latter buyer pays $15 LESS to get version 3.0.
>Thats a total difference of $84, about the price of the software.

This is funny. I felt ripped off by Apple when I took delivery of an
SE 4 days before they bundled HyperCard and Multifinder. When Symantec
"showered" me with $15 I felt good. I didn't feel good having to shower
Apple with $100 to get software that was bundled 4 days later.