[comp.sys.mac] MicroPhone II bug

long@mcntsh.dec.com (10/04/88)

I have what I think is a real live bug in MicroPhone II.  I have two versions:
a "pre-release" version dated May 20, 1988 and a "real" version dated June 27,
1988.  With the LATER version, it appears that the "system flag" is not being
set correctly between modem and user scripts:  it always returns success.

Situation:  I have a modem driver that I put together for a DEC Scholar.  The
script (modem) "Dial Service" returns success or failure depending on the
status of the call.  Problem is, the user script that is calling Dial Service
ALWAYS sees success.  I have verified that the Dial Service script IS returning
the correct status (failure, in this case).

By the way, the "system flag" is transfered correctly between user mode scripts
as well as between modem scripts; the problem occurs when mixing user mode and
modem scripts.

Now, for the fun part:  these IDENTICAL scripts work perfectly with the May 20,
1988 version!

So, how is VersaTerm, anyway?  1/2 :-)

Any insight?  Thanks - Rich

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/05/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: MicroPhone II bug
Sender: denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol)

In article <8810040113.AA24382@decwrl.dec.com> long@mcntsh.dec.com writes:
>I have what I think is a real live bug in MicroPhone II.  I have two versions:
>a "pre-release" version dated May 20, 1988 and a "real" version dated June 27,
>1988.  With the LATER version, it appears that the "system flag" is not being
>set correctly between modem and user scripts:  it always returns success.
>
>Situation:  I have a modem driver that I put together for a DEC Scholar.  The
>script (modem) "Dial Service" returns success or failure depending on the
>status of the call.  Problem is, the user script that is calling Dial Service
>ALWAYS sees success.  I have verified that the Dial Service script IS returning
>the correct status (failure, in this case).

	The problem you describe of the Dial Service command always returning
SUCCESS when using a Modem Driver (as opposed to the built in driver) is
indeed a known bug in the current version of MicroPhone II (June 27, 1988)
which will be fixed in a future version - HOWEVER there is a simple workaround
for the time being.
	As you point out, the Dial Service Modem Script is getting the proper
value so that if you create your own success variable flag (say mySuccess)
and have the main script check that rather than doing a test on the return
of Dial Service, things work just fine.  For example:

[Main Script]
REPEAT
	DIAL SERVICE* "My Service"
UNTIL mySuccess = TRUE

[Dial Service Modem Script]
...Dialing goes here...
...Wait and When stuff for testing connect...
IF SUCCESS
	SET VARIABLE FROM EXPRESSION "mySuccess=TRUE'
ELSE
	SET VARIABLE FROM EXPRESSION "mySuccess=FALSE'
...rest goes here...

	Most of the modem drivers that we ship with MicroPhone II have
something like this in it.  The best one to check is the Telebit Modem Driver
as an example of this workaround.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team