[comp.sys.mac] error msg "Online: Open/Read error with OnBase"

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (10/06/88)

When I boot on a Mac II (System 4.2, Finder 6.0, 1 meg, Rodime
140meg, and not much else), I an error message near the bottom of
the screen during the startup:

	Online: Open/Read error with OnBase

It appears a few seconds after "Welcome to Macintosh" and
disappears when the "Welcome...." does.

What does this mean, and what kinds of remedies are there?

thanks,
Margot Flowers
Flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU
...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax,randvax)!cs.ucla.edu!flowers

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/06/88)

In article <16550@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>When I boot on a Mac II (System 4.2, Finder 6.0, 1 meg, Rodime
>140meg, and not much else), I an error message near the bottom of
>the screen during the startup:
>
>	Online: Open/Read error with OnBase
>
>It appears a few seconds after "Welcome to Macintosh" and
>disappears when the "Welcome...." does.
>
>What does this mean, and what kinds of remedies are there?

	The message that you report is generated by the INIT 'Programmer's
Online Companion' when it can not find its datafile (OnBase).   Therefore it
would seem that someone installed 'POG' into your system (it's one of the
old fashioned INIT that goes into yur system file) and forgot to install
the database.
	Hope that helps...

/* ============================================================ */
/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */
/* ============================================================ */
/*  Anything I say may be taken as truth, but you never know    */
/* ------------------------------------------------------------ */

/* ============================================================ */

flowers@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Margot Flowers) (10/07/88)

In article <15086@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	The message that you report is generated by the INIT 'Programmer's
>Online Companion' when it can not find its datafile (OnBase).   Therefore it
>would seem that someone installed 'POG' into your system (it's one of the
>old fashioned INIT that goes into yur system file) and forgot to install
>the database.

Thank you (and the other respondents).  I'm the one who installed it,
and a while ago when I needed the room and wasn't programming, I
removed the database; meanwhile I'd forgotten about its use of OnBase.
-- Margot

john@trigraph.UUCP (John Chew) (10/07/88)

  flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (Margot Flowers) writes:
>When I boot on a Mac II (System 4.2, Finder 6.0, 1 meg, Rodime
>140meg, and not much else), I an error message near the bottom of
>the screen during the startup:
>
>	Online: Open/Read error with OnBase

This means that you have a copy of Addison-Wesley's Programmer's
Online Companion INIT installed but do not have a copy of its
data file OnBase.

There are several ways to get rid of the message:

1. Buy a copy of the Online Companion.  It's an electronic version
   of Inside Mac I-V and is well worth the small purchase price if
   you do any programming for the Mac.

2. Find a copy of the file OnBase on your disk and put it in your
   system folder.  If you share your Mac with someone, perhaps they
   own a copy of the software, and merely removed it temporarily to
   get Falcon or Beyond Dark Castle to run.

3. Replace the system file on your hard disk.

4. Remove the INIT resource from your system file with ResEdit.
   This is a bit tricky, as I don't believe it is identified in
   any obvious manner.  Note too that it's actually in your
   system file and is not an INIT 31 file.  If you want to do
   this and have trouble finding it, send me mail and I'll snoop
   through my copy to find it's ID.

5. Close your eyes when the system boots up.  If OnBase is not around,
   the Online Companion does nothing but display the message, so it
   should not affect anything else you do.

Hope this is of help.

John Chew

--