[comp.sys.mac] NetModem v2400 by Shiva

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (10/06/88)

I just got my Shive nemodem v2400 (actually the second one because the first had tobe
to be returned). It works well as a modem. BUT:
I connected my Mac from my office to my TOPS - AppleTalk system at home. It wo
worked, but OH BOY, WAS IT SLOW!!! Take a single sided Mac 128 and multiply
it by (epsilon)^(N) and then you will get something close to it. Imagine
AppleTalking with about 8000 bytes/min. WOW!!!
Anyway it woks well with my zillion INITS and it looks like a great buy.
I recommend it for NetModemming but not for AppleTalking.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in above product whatsoever except that my
mom is the CEO of Shiva and I am to inherit all of it. (Just kidding.)

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5310.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(614)-292-4975.secy

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (10/07/88)

In article <907@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr (Paul G. Nevai) writes:
>I just got my Shive nemodem v2400 (actually the second one because the first had tobe
>to be returned). It works well as a modem. BUT:
>I connected my Mac from my office to my TOPS - AppleTalk system at home. It wo
>worked, but OH BOY, WAS IT SLOW!!!

I used a similar system once (ie, AppleTalk through modems).  I was amused by
the fact that, at 2400 baud, MacWrite (4.5) took thirteen MINUTES to start.
The timing was done on my trusty Timex and counted from the double-click to
when I could start typing.  I was using TOPS and I kept having to tell TOPS
that, yes, the other end was still there...

Depending on the distances involved, I think even sneakernet is faster...:^)
---
"Now I'm in too deep..."        Peter "Dick" Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
                                             (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)