[comp.sys.mac] Upgrading the Plus

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (10/09/88)

In article <815@etive.ed.ac.uk>, nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
> I have this recurring nightmare.  [...]  I keep having this horrible
> fear of an announcement by Apple:
>    "We are committed to memory management on Macintoshes.  The new
> System n.0 will run on a 68020-based machine only. In line with our
> past upgrade policies, we will sell 68020 boards to SE owners for
> $not-much. We consider the 68000-based Mac to be obsolete. The minimal
> Macintosh is a 68020-based one. The Mac Plus is a bad dream. We will
> not support it. Future software will not run on it."
>    Mummy, mummy, make the bad dream go away.... :-)

I don't think so, though of course the Plus will be obsolete eventually.
There are a *lot* of Pluses out there, not to mention 128s and 512s
upgraded to Pluses.  Apple *cannot afford* to forget about those
customers; even if they wanted to, software vendors would not let
them ("what do you mean, you're taking away 2/3rds of our market?")

Now, at some point in the future Pluses will constitute a small
enough percentage of the installed base of Macs that the loss of that
market will be acceptable to software vendors, and *then* Apple will
pull the plug.  (Even then, some vendors will continue to support the
old machines.)  I think that that point is four or five years away,
even if Apple stops making Pluses tomorrow.

Yes, you say, but they pulled the plug on 128s and 512s after only a
couple of years; couldn't they do the same to Pluses?  I think that
situation was different: first, the 128 was widely acknowledged to be
an underpowered machine even when it came out, and so it was hard for
software authors to fit reasonable applications on it; second, Apple
was able to provide reasonable upgrade paths to Plus-equivalent
hardware.  (Whether they could/should have charged less than they did
for the upgrades is a separate issue, which I don't want to argue here.)

Thus, the only plausible scenario for dropping support would be that
Apple announces an Official 68020 Upgrade for Plus owners (lots of
third party manufacturers make one, so could Apple).  After a year
or two, enough people might have upgraded to allow Apple to drop
support for the old configuration.  We are seeing a comparable
situation now with regard to memory; if it weren't for the
artificially-induced shortage of memory chips, 2MB might already be
considered the minimal configuration.  (I'd bet lunch that Apple
released Multifinder in expectation of widespread memory upgrades,
and their schedule has been thrown off by the chip drought.)

Bear in mind that Apple is strictly a hardware company now that
they've spun off Claris.  Once you have your Mac, the only way they
make more money off you is to sell you a hardware upgrade.  Dropping
support for an old configuration is an effective way to persuade
people to buy upgrades, and thus makes some sense for them; dropping
support with no upgrade path only makes enemies.

Thus, my prediction is that there will be an upgrade path for Pluses,
and when enough of the user base has switched over, Apple will drop
Plus support in order to encourage the rest of us to switch.
(Now that I think about it, it's surprising that Apple has let Dove
and friends have that business to themselves for so long.)

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu