[comp.sys.mac] Geneva font

michele@mtuxo.att.com (XMRG3-M.CLAYBURG) (10/08/88)

I have a Mac SE and a LaserWriter II using MacDraw and MacDraw II.
Both software packages use the Geneva font for the default fonts.
When I use MacDraw, I have no problem with the Geneva font being printed.
But when using MacDraw II, I get a bit map of the font.

I'm not sure how to correct this problem.  The problem occurs when
MacDraw documents are changed to the MacDraw II format and when I
create a new document.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Michele Clayburg
mtuxo!michele
201-576-6185

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (10/08/88)

--When I use MacDraw, I have no problem with the Geneva font being printed.
--But when using MacDraw II, I get a bit map of the font.

Well, Apple's Laserwriters normally substitute Helvetica, Times, and (I think)
Courier for the screen fonts Monaco, New York, and Geveva.  When you print,
you should have an option marked "font substitution."  With this un-checked,
the default font substitutions are overridden and the Laserwriter has no
choice but to print in bitmap.

My guess is that you were actually seeing the Laserwriter print in Courier
the first time, and that for some reason you un-checked the substitution box
in your print dialog box later on.  This could also be accounted for if you
are using a floppy-only system and had two different startup disks (one for
Draw and one for Draw II).

Hope this helps.
   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
  Hanover, NH 03755

peirce@claris.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (10/11/88)

In article <10312@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) writes:
>--When I use MacDraw, I have no problem with the Geneva font being printed.
>--But when using MacDraw II, I get a bit map of the font.

MacDraw II uses the (relatively) new proportional font scheme.  This gives
more accurate character placements.  Only trouble is that when you use this
the ROM doesn't let you do automatic font substitution.  This means that
whatever way you set the check box in the printer setup dialog, you'll
never get font substitution in MacDraw II.

-- michael