[comp.sys.mac] Advice sought re: CMS, MicroNet hard disks and MacLand .

bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60163000) (10/10/88)

Hello:

	I am looking for a 30 to 60 Mbyte external hard disk for a Mac Plus
and I would appreciate any advice people on the net might have concerning
various brands.  This disk is for the use of my sister.  I would recommend
the same disk I'm using, a Jasmine 70 Mbyte hard disk, but the Jasmine disks
are just a little too expensive for her.  I have recently perused the
October issue of MacUser, and I found an advertisement that looked
interesting.  A mail-order outlet called "MacLand" (p. 97) sells CMS,
MicroNet, and other brands of hard disks for what appear to be rock-bottom
prices.  I was particularly interested in the CMS MacStack60 for $749, and
the MicroNet MicroStack62 for $739.  Both hard disks have about 60 Mbytes
capacity.  If any of you have disks of either of these brands, please send
me your opinion of them.  Also, I am open to suggestions of brands I have
not yet mentioned here.  I am also interested in knowing if anyone has any
opinions on the mail-order dealer, "MacLand."

				Thanks for your help,

				Bill Bushnell

		bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU	(Bill Bushnell)

chucks@acdpyr.ucar.edu (Chuck Smythe) (10/11/88)

In article <5044@saturn.ucsc.edu> bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Bushnell) writes:
>	I am looking for a 30 to 60 Mbyte external hard disk for a Mac Plus
>............  A mail-order outlet called "MacLand" (p. 97) sells CMS,
>MicroNet, and other brands of hard disks for what appear to be rock-bottom
>prices.  I was particularly interested in the CMS MacStack60 for $749.....

I bought one of these about two months ago.  No problems with the dealer or
the disk to date, and I already have close to three hundred hours on it.
Minuses: a little more prone to shrieking (discharge brush?) than my old
Jasmine 20 (a great disk, BTW!), minimum documentation, not particularly fast.
Still, a LOT of megabytes per buck.
                       Chuck Smythe
(Standard disclaimers here)

dumesny@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Alain Dumesny) (10/11/88)

In article <829@ncar.ucar.edu> chucks@acdpyr.UCAR.EDU (Chuck Smythe) writes:
>In article <5044@saturn.ucsc.edu> bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Bill Bushnell) writes:
>>	I am looking for a 30 to 60 Mbyte external hard disk for a Mac Plus
>>............  A mail-order outlet called "MacLand" (p. 97) sells CMS,
>>MicroNet, and other brands of hard disks for what appear to be rock-bottom
>>prices.  I was particularly interested in the CMS MacStack60 for $749.....

I bought a CMS Pro-60 IIi from them (60 meg internal for mac II) and had no
problem what so ever.   They even included a mouse pad with the drive. Nice
touch (especially since I needed one).   I would recomend the CMS and MacLand.

------
Alain Dumesny
Cornell University
dumesny@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

General disclaimer........:-)

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/11/88)

bushnel@ucscb.UCSC.EDU  (Bill Bushnell) asks about MicroNet and CMS drives.
I buy a fair number of disks, and I wouldn't buy from anyone else. Charles
McConnathy, the president of MicroNet, is a very savvy guy who does an
extremely good job. He was responsible for CMS's capturing a large part of
the Mac drive market by building a good solid product at a great price. Now
that he has left CMS and started MicroNet, I expect even better things.

Buy CMS if you want to be sure that they will be around to serve you. They
are a huge company with good service.

Buy micronet if you want the best service. They are a smaller company, and
anything could happen to them. On the other hand, I'm betting they'll be around
for a long time. They are the first company with wren IVs for the mac and the
first with 150mb tape drives (and at a price that competes with some people's
40 mb tapes!).

Either way, you can't go wrong.

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis