[comp.sys.mac] SUM Partitioning problems

chari@juniper.uucp (Christopher Michael Whatley) (09/28/88)

OK, this is really hacking me off. I have folowed the instructions about having
partitions auto-mount at startup to a tee. Yet, they refuse to appear at
startup.

My configuration is:

	Macintosh II, 5mb RAM, 40mb HD
	3 Partitions
	Supermac Monitor and Card
	System 6.0

I have tried removing all inits except HD Partition and many other combinations.

Is this one of the bugs I've been hearing about or what?

Chris

$---------------$--------------------------------$-------------------------$
| Chris Whatley | mail chari@juniper.uucp        | "Ever seen the chicken  |
| 512/453-4238  |      chari@killer.dallas.tx.us |  walk?"  -Jeffrey       |
$---------------$--------------------------------$-------------------------$

jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John Francis Mansfield) (10/07/88)

In article <4979@juniper.uucp> chari@juniper.UUCP (Christopher Michael Whatley) writes:

>OK, this is really hacking me off. I have folowed the instructions about having

I too have had problems, I partitioned a drive only to find next time
I mounted it I got the bomb box with id=1 and there was nothing I
could do about it I even tried deleteing the partitions and the system
seemed to think that they were mounted so it wouldnt let me, the only
thing I could do was reint the drive and trash all the data.  I am
using the upgraded init that came across the net.  Seems to me that
there are definietely still problems with this package.

John Mansfield, North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory,
2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143. Ph: (313)-936-3352.
__________
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.

pcolby@robbie.prime.com (Peter Colby) (10/11/88)

In article <3eea2db2.59b7@sauron.engin.umich.edu> jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu.UUCP (John Francis Mansfield) writes:

>I too have had problems, I partitioned a drive only to find next time
>I mounted it I got the bomb box with id=1 and there was nothing I
>could do about it I even tried deleteing the partitions and the system
>seemed to think that they were mounted so it wouldnt let me, the only
>thing I could do was reint the drive and trash all the data.  I am
>using the upgraded init that came across the net.  Seems to me that
>there are definietely still problems with this package.

Here it is, the TRUE story! (ha). I got SUM several months ago. My main
reason was because of the HD Partition (I have a 70MB hard disk and my
desktop file was bogging down the system). From the beginning, I was never
able to get more than one partition to work. Several times, after I had
installed a partition (with the HD Partition DA), the machine would refuse to
boot - it would get as far as starting up the INITS and hang or bomb. All I
ever had to do was boot off a floppy, let the HD mount and delete the
SUM partition INIT. After that, rebooting worked AND I was able to delete
those partition files that had not already been deleted.

I got several copies of the "new" INITS from Symantec (I have to admit, their
customer service is the best I've ever experienced), but none of them ever
worked... In fact, one wouldn't even allow me to mount the one partition I
had normally been able to use.

Finally, last week I got the newest (1.02+) version of the SUM program disk
2 (with HD Partition DA & the 2 INITS). I installed both the DA and the 2
INITS, and for the first time was able to create, mount, and add to the
automount list 3 more partitions - 4 in total. So far so good. Next step,
reboot the machine to check out the automount. No dice! My hard disk hung
after loading the 2 (new) SUM inits.

Back to the floppy. This time, instead of removing the SUM INITs, I took a
chance and deleted the only other INIT I had installed - Moire 1.41c.
Reboot to the hard disk. SUCCESS. All four automount partitions automounted
after the HD booted.

The moral of this story? - SUM is great, Symantec treats their customers right,
WATCH OUT FOR INIT INTERACTIONS.

I suppose that one of these days I'll rename Moire so that the order of
installation is reversed from whatever it is now and see what happens.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UUCP: {sun,decvax,linus}!cvbnet!pcolby ||| "We has met the enemy and he is us."
UUCP: pcolby@robbie.prime.com          |||                           Pogo
CSNET: pcolby@robbie.prime.com         |||

rcb@rti.UUCP (Random) (10/12/88)

I also bought SUM for the HD partitioning feature. I was never able to get
automount to work and regularly had problems with some applications. When
I finally traced the failure of the INSIDE-MAC DA to the HD partition init
from SUM, I just trashed all of SUM. It's now just sitting on my shelf
gathering dust. Anybody want to buy a slightly used copy of SUM with about
6-8 original disks (various updates)?
--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute