[comp.sys.mac] MacIntosh to "pic" format

laf@hocpa.UUCP (L.A.FEINBERG) (10/11/88)

Subject: MacIntosh to "pic" format conversion
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

I am looking for a way to take a picture that is hand drawn, photocopied, etc,
and get it into UNIX pic format.

I have been told that a method exists whereby a picture is digitized on a Mac
and converted to pic format.  However, no one knows how to do it or who to
contact.

Please note that I am don't care what method is used, I was just told that it
could be done via a Mac.

I would appreciate any information available on such a process.

Lee Feinberg
AT&T Bell Laboratories
ISDN Systems Engineering

Room # HO 1C-527
Phone: (201) 834-1257

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (10/14/88)

In article <401@hocpa.UUCP> laf@hocpa.UUCP (L.A.FEINBERG) writes:

|Subject: MacIntosh to "pic" format conversion
|Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
|
|I am looking for a way to take a picture that is hand drawn, photocopied, etc,
|and get it into UNIX pic format.
|
|I have been told that a method exists whereby a picture is digitized on a Mac
|and converted to pic format.  However, no one knows how to do it or who to
|contact.

Unfortunately, UNIX(R)-based pic does not support bitmaps.  It only accepts
specific object types.  In addition, pic works like a pen plotter emulator,
so it can't cover up background objects.

A quickdraw -| pic print driver is available from Avatar (412)422-9509.
It is called MDPIC, and costs ~$300.  It does as good a job as I could
reasonably expect, given pic's limitations.

Standard Disclaimers, ...
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!

peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP (10/14/88)

Lee, there are many formats one can use on a Macintosh for pictures.
I digitize video signals into a Mac and then can transfer them to a
Sun.  I can convert them to Rasterfile format (is this what you mean by
pic?).  These are my own formats, however, but converter are easy
to write.

P.S.  Did you go to Cornell University?  I knew a Lee Feinberg there!

Joe Peterson

Schlumberger Technologies
Billerica, MA

email: peterson@applicon.com