[comp.sys.mac] Back Up Cartridge Systems

vermilye@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) (10/10/88)

Has anyone had any experience with Mass Micro's Data Pax 45Meg
cartridge systems?  I have heard many complaints about cartridge
drives in general from members of NYMUG, but nothing specific.  We
were hoping to use it to back up a 300M hard disk in a Mac II,
however if there are problems I might be persuaded to try an Everex
tape back up.  I'd also appreciate any other suggestions for backing
up and storing large (30 - 60 Meg) files.

Jon R. Vermilye
Department of Theatre
SUNY Oswego
Oswego, NY 13126
315 341 2138

darryl@ism780c.isc.com (Darryl Richman) (10/12/88)

In reply, and also to follow up on a posting I made a couple weeks ago,
let me say that I am now quite pleased with my DPI 44R removable
cartridge disk.  All of the 45 mb cartridge disks are made by SyQuest,
so the major distinctions are price, software, and support.

The DPI was, at the time I bought, the cheapest.  They were offering
a user group discount;  I paid $1295 for the drive, 2 cartridges, and
a 25<->50 pin SCSI cable.

As you may recall, I was having problems with it connected to my Mac II.
It wouldn't work, although my old Jasmine Direct Drive 20 worked fine.
I was able to get Apple to swap motherboards under warranty and now it
is just great.  (I still don't know what was wrong, but the DPI worked
with every other Mac I connected it to.)

The drive is very fast (I *think* they are advertising 18 ms access time,
but don't count on my memory) and quiet.  It is a bit slow to spin up
and down.  DPI supplies a diskette with a formatter program and a CDEV
for mounting the hard disk.  It has an external switch for setting the
SCSI ID, but termination is inside the box (4 screws).  There are 2 50
pin SCSI connectors on the back.

		--Darryl Richman
--
Copyright (c) 1988 Darryl Richman     The views expressed are the author's alone
darryl@ism780c.isc.com       INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.--An Eastman Kodak Company

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (10/14/88)

In article <965@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, vermilye@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Jon R. Vermilye) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience with Mass Micro's Data Pax 45Meg
> cartridge systems?

 I have had a Mass Micro 45 meg Cartridge Drive since shortly after the Boston
 Expo, and have had zero problems, and use several "carts" to backup both
 my BBS 80meg, and my Mac II 100meg. Backups are fast, You can backup 80meg
 in about 10min using DiskFit, and subsequent incrementals of course are
 even faster, if done daily or every couple of days, switching "carts" can
 take longer than the backup almost...I recommend the Mass Micro Datapak
 system, its been reliable and solid for me so far, and you can use other
 carts as storage or work since they are as fast as a normal HD, 25ms access
 time....they are a little spendier per meg, but its the removeable technology
 that you are paying for I guess.....Norm