[comp.sys.mac] F/DAm 3.8 bug?

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/12/88)

Actually, I think this is a generic Font/DA Mover bug, but I'm not thrilled
to see it happen under 6.0.2, so I thought I'd pass it along. Have other
people seen this?

I'm installing 6.0.2. It's currently a virgin maching, running under Finder.
Take two related font files, for instance Palatino Plain and Palatino Other.
These two files contain the normal style bitmaps for the Palatino Font and
all the special bitmaps (B Palatino, I Palatino and BI Palatino).

Open up both Font files with F/DAM. Copy all of the files from "Palatino
Other" to Palatino Plain." Before you do, keep a copy of "Palatino Plain"
because you'll need it.

Once everything is copied, take a look at "Palatino 12" -- it's trashed,
about 4000 bytes instead of 7000. So open up your saved copy of "Palatino
12" and copy a fresh version across. Bingo. A working Font file all set to
turn into an NFNT or something similar.

You have to copy the "other" fonts 'on top' of the Plain fonts. Note that
you're not actually touching the plain font -- the act of copying in the
related 12 point fonts trashes the plain 12 point font. Copying the plain
fonts into the "other" file doesn't seem to damage anything. The only font
that gets damaged is the 12 point plain, and it seems to get hit every time.

Anyone else see this? Can anyone follow those steps and *not* reproduce it?
I'm using literally virgin floppies, have just reformatted my disk and used
the standard installer script, no INIT's, no *nothing* so I can't see how
it's something I'm doing, but you never know...

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (10/12/88)

    I have not found the bug dealing with FOND/NFNT resources, but I
think that I have found a problem of the DA side of the Font/DA Mover.
    Try installing a desk accessory. Great, everything works fine. But,
try installing a new version over the old (re-installing the same DA without
removing the first version from the System file). Quit the Font/DA Mover,
and try opening the DA. You get a System Error. Open ResEdit and look at
the System. For some reason, the Font/DA Mover had problems replacing
the DRVR resource for the DA. The resource is of length zero (0).
    I noticed that this happens every other time you install the DA. Of
course, the safest way of doing this is to first remove the old DA from the
System (before copying the new one over it).
    I am running 6.0.2 and FDA 3.8.

    Rob Johnston.

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (10/14/88)

In article <72598@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> I think this is a generic Font/DA Mover bug...
> Copy all of the files from [Adobe's] "Palatino Other" to Palatino Plain."
> ...take a look at "Palatino 12" -- it's trashed...

This is not a Font/DA Mover bug, but the result of structural defects
in Adobe screen font file resource maps that makes the files, in effect,
read-only. By copying fonts into the file, you were bitten.  The fact
that one particular font size was trashed was, in this context, coincidence.
I would suggest carefully checking all of the resources in your resulting
file after replacing the resource that was trashed -- there could be
others that were trashed or corrupted.

The workaround is to copy the contents of the files to new files by any
means that uses the Resource Manager to copy the resources -- e.g.,
copying with ResEdit -- before making any attempt to alter the
files.  Copying with Font/DA Mover would work from the standpoint of
getting an alterable file, but depending on how a typeface is split
up among files you could lose FOND references.

Adobe is aware of the defective resource map problem; it is caused by
bugs in the software they use to create the files (they do not use
the Resource Manager to construct the files).  Their newer Font Folio
screen font files do not split families into "plain" and "other", but
at least some of them still contain the resource map defects. Font Harmony,
a utility that comes with Suitcase II (of which I am author), will repair
defective Adobe screen font file resource maps.