[comp.sys.mac] Can windows go beyond a monitor while using two monitors?

63848e@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Buchsbaum) (10/09/88)

I have been having problems using my MacII with two monitors.  Having just aquired the second
monitor, I expected to be able to extend a Microsoft Word 3.02 window so as to have a full page or
more of text visible at once.  Word, and just about every other program I own, cannot
open a window larger than a single MacII screen.This seems funny, but not even the finder can
do this. So I am stuck with having more windows, a good thing, but they must be <= the size of the
MacII screen.  Having seen what looked to be demos of six monitors-for-a-window in magazine articles, I was wondering if there was a
way to RESEDIT(1.2d1) my way to larger screens.  Is there an easilly accessible parameter for window size,
and can it be changed.
I have tried friends' drawing programs, and etc., and they all seem to have this problem.

My system is:
MacII 2/40
256 color-menued screen
16 gray
IWII
Appletalked to appleshare hosts...mainframes...etc.

Inits were checked, to no avail.  Is this a system bug? ( or do I want to much?)

Please send email, or post stuff if this turns out to be a big bug ( I have a low level of
technical ability, so please be very explicit with help).  Thanks ahead of time.

Disclaimer:  I am in no way connected with any companies mentioned, and mean no harm.  Any opinions
are my own.

Jeffrey Buchsbaum
HB0559
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH  03755

or

email to address in the above header

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/12/88)

In article <10319@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> 63848e@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jeffrey Buchsbaum) writes:
>I have been having problems using my MacII with two monitors.  Having just aquired the second
>monitor, I expected to be able to extend a Microsoft Word 3.02 window so as to have a full page or
>more of text visible at once.  Word, and just about every other program I own, cannot
>open a window larger than a single MacII screen.This seems funny, but not even the finder can
>do this.

This reminds me of a recent posting where someone was dreaming about some
neat things that might be done in the future (extending one window across
multiple monitors).  Having never used two monitors at once, I don't know
how it's supposed to work, but I saw an interesting ad in the summer issue
of MacGuide (page 27).

It shows two monitors (side-by-side and stacked on top of each other).  The
ad copy makes it clear that this is what you can do with their monitors and
card.  In fact, they are selling two 19" monitors and their card for $2450.
One monitor and their card is $1450.  Their ad asks why you should limit your
work to a single or even double page display.

The vendor is Mirage and the toll free number is (800) 782-0097.  I would
presume that they've done something special to make this work given the
above posting.

Shirley Kehr

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (10/14/88)

> I have been having problems using my MacII with two monitors.  Having just
> aquired the second monitor, I expected to be able to extend a Microsoft Word
> 3.02 window so as to have a full page or more of text visible at once.  Word
> and just about every other program I own, cannot open a window larger than a
> single MacII screen.This seems funny, but not even the finder can do this.
> So I am stuck with having more windows, a good thing, but they must be <=
> the size of the MacII screen.  Having seen what looked to be demos of six
> monitors-for-a-window in magazine articles, I was wondering if there was a
> way to RESEDIT(1.2d1) my way to larger screens.  Is there an easilly
> accessible parameter for window size, and can it be changed.
> I have tried friends' drawing programs, and etc., and they all seem to
> have this problem.

WARNING: Technical information follows which describes a means of getting
around this problem!

1) Hold down the command key
2) Click and drag to resize the window in question.

Sorry for the sarcasm - it's that kind of day.

I've tried this with the Finder, MPW, Word, and WriteNow. Works for me. I won't
guarantee that this will work with screens side-by-side (actually try it
some time; it's good for yucks) but I currently have a full page of WriteNow
on the screens (stacked, as it were). Actually, as I find out, I cheat.
WriteNow will let you resize the window in this way even if the command
key is not down. (Word will not).

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:		No promises for brand-X software.