[comp.sys.mac] NeXT Optical Drive/Magneto-Optics

cb2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles Edward Batey, Jr.) (10/15/88)

As I understand it, the operation of the NeXT optical drive is as follows:

First, the disc used in the drive is different than a normal optical disc,
or CD.  It uses the same plastic coating as a standard CD, however, the core
of the disc is made of aluminum coated with some magnetic material.
Second, the laser in the drive operates at two intensities.  When writing,
the high-intensity laser is used to heat the magnetic material up to the
Curie point (where the current magnetic polarization of the material can be
affected by a Magnetic field).  Then a magnetic field is applied at that point
on the disc, thus altering the magnetic polarization.  There are two
orientations of the magnetic field - one represents a zero and the other a
one.  Accordingly, there are two possible polarized states the magnetic
material can have.
When reading, the drive uses the low-intensity laser setting and reads
the disc by reflecting the laser off the disc, through a polarizer, and
into an analyzer that determines the intensity of the beam.   It seems
that the beam, when refracted through the material and reflected off of
the aluminum core, has a distinct direction of polarization, one for each
of the two states of the material.  Thus by passing the beam through a
polarizing filter, the differing intensities of the resulting light represent
either a one or a zero.

Also, when writing to the disc, it uses a three pass system.  Once to set all
of the bits needed in storing the information to zero (the erase pass), a
second time to set all of the one bits, and a third time to verify the code.

Hope this helps.

Ted Batey
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (10/16/88)

Can anyone present a cogent theory as to why they elected to go with a
CD disk over standard magnetic media.  It would seem to me, for
example, that using a Wren IV or any of a number of other drives would
almost undoubtedly be considerably cheaper than the laser drive,
though I grant that it would introduce the need for backup and
distribution media.

What benefit to the laser drive, then?

Also, consider the following problem:  MicroSoft (strictly
hypothetical) decides they want to distribute MS Word to me.  What
media does it come on? How expensive is the media? How can I be sure
that the files I need on my original disk are accessable from the MS
disk.  Alternatively, how do I copy MS Word onto my drive?

Jon

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (10/17/88)

In article <4489@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>Can anyone present a cogent theory as to why they elected to go with a
>CD disk over standard magnetic media.  It would seem to me, for
>example, that using a Wren IV or any of a number of other drives would
>almost undoubtedly be considerably cheaper than the laser drive,

Well, for one thing, it's in character for Steve Jobs to try to
do things differently.  Witness the Mac's disks-- not quite unique
at the time, but damn close.  Optical drives are the coming thing,
so Steve had to throw one in.
For another thing, do drives like the Wren IV have removable platters?
Can they offer the same capacity at the same price per blank disk
(something like $50 each...)?
I'll believe a cheaper magnetic drive with a fixed disk, but
removable... that sounds a little optimistic.

Followups to comp.misc.
-Antonio Romero     romero@confidence.princeton.edu

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (10/18/88)

In article <4489@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>What benefit to the laser drive, then?

  Removable Capacity!!  Do you know of any cheap drives that offer a
protable 256 MegaBytes, in a very reliable format.  This is a machine for
University Lab enviroments.  Wouldn't it be nice as a student to be able
to bring up your very own Unix enviroment regardless of what machine you
were on. :-)

>Also, consider the following problem:  MicroSoft (strictly

  MicroSoft has already stated that they will not be developing any SW for
the next Machine.  Given the popularity of OS/2, I think this might be a bad
idea.  But who am I, just someone who hates MS. :-)
--
David M. O'Rourke                                  dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"
Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!