[comp.sys.mac] Tulin 50 meg HD

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Ben Burch ) (10/16/88)

From:    Ben Burch

To:      All                                      Msg #108, 12-Oct-88 23:06:18
Subject: Tulin 50 meg HD Kit

Well, I ordered the 50 meg drive kit that Tulin Corp., San Jose CA was
advertising in Computer Shopper.  The kit arrived after a delay of less than 10
days.  It was, if anything, the most over-packaged thing I have ever received.
There were so many styrofoam "peanuts" and other foam cushions in the box that
it would have been hard to damage it if you tried.  The assembly instructions
were adequate but required several readings before all steps were clear.  One
step required that the activity LED be clipped from the controller board and
that the wires from the front panel LED be slipped over it's leads, but the
leads were so short that soldering was required. Curiously, the system shipped
with it was unable to bring up the disk, but a stock copy of system 6.0, with
their formatter, was quite happy to initialize it.  Also on the distribution
disk was a SCSI accelerator INIT.  This does not work.  Don't use it.  In my
case, it would freeze the system during multi-file copies.  Also be aware that
the driver does not support tags, so undelete utilities will probably not
function.  All-in-all, I think that this was a well spent $599, but there is
still room for them to improve.

uejio@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Jeremy Y. Uejio) (10/18/88)

In article <8@aicchi.UUCP> dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Ben Burch ) writes:
>Well, I ordered the 50 meg drive kit that Tulin Corp., San Jose CA was
>advertising in Computer Shopper.  The kit arrived after a delay of less than 10

I picked up the Tulin drives two days after I ordered it.

>The assembly instructions
>were adequate but required several readings before all steps were clear.  One
>step required that the activity LED be clipped from the controller board and
>that the wires from the front panel LED be slipped over it's leads, but the
>leads were so short that soldering was required.

I had the same problem but managed to connect the LEDs without
soldering.

>Curiously, the system shipped
>with it was unable to bring up the disk, but a stock copy of system 6.0, with
>their formatter, was quite happy to initialize it.

I didn't have any problems with their formatter.  Infact their
formatter seemed to support a variety of drives.

>Also on the distribution
>disk was a SCSI accelerator INIT.  This does not work.  Don't use it.  In my
>case, it would freeze the system during multi-file copies.

Again,  I didn't have any problems with this INIT although I'm
running system 5.0.

All in all I'm happy with my Tulin Drive although it seems just a
bit slow.  The specs say that the avg. access time is 85 ms but
it doesn't seem that slow so it's probably wrong.

BTW I paid $640.39 including tax.  A real steal for 50 MB!

				jeremy

--
Jeremy Uejio (pronounced 'oo-ay-joe')    uejio@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
uucp:  {gatech,pyramid,rutgers}!lll-lcc!uejio