[comp.sys.mac] How to convert all of "font a" to "font b" in MacWrite?

bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) (10/18/88)

I have about 500K of complex MacWrite documents that all share a common
flaw: everywhere "Helvetica" font is used, I really need "Times".
It is impractical to convert each occurrence by hand... there are
thousands.

Can anyone suggest a better way?

The documents will be printed out onto a Laserwriter II/NT.  I have
resedit 1.0D4, finder 6.0, and MS-word, but few other tools.  The files
must remain MacWrite compatible.  With resedit there ought
to be some way of faking up a Times that looks like Helvetica... any
hints?

		-Bryce Nesbitt
		 uunet!cbmvax!bryce

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (10/18/88)

In article <5014@cbmvax.UUCP> bryce@cbmvax.UUCP (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:

>I have about 500K of complex MacWrite documents that all share a common
>flaw: everywhere "Helvetica" font is used, I really need "Times".
>It is impractical to convert each occurrence by hand... there are
>thousands.
>
>Can anyone suggest a better way?

I think that I can suggest two better ways.  The first, and least expensive
way is to get a copy of FaceLift (by Paul DuBois).  It was posted here a
couple of years ago.  It is a special purpose application whose raison d'etre
is to perform exactly the function you wish in the more general case of
mass changes of font/size/style in MacWrite documents.

The second alternative is to use FullWrite Professional.  Its Change dialog
allows you to specify that you are only affecting font or size, etc and with
the wildcarding allows you to make this sort of change.  Then Save As in
MacWrite format.  This presupposes that you have at least 2MB so that FWP
will run and that you want to pop for the price of the product.  If you have
the hardware to support it, its really a nice WP (personal opinion).

Dennis Cohen