[comp.sys.mac] AppleShare strange "features"

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (10/13/88)

I have a few comments to make and questions to ask about our recently
installed AppleShare File Server 2.0 networks.  All things considered,
it is a very nice system.  The feature that we like the most is the
copyprotect function that prevents anyone from copying a file off of the
file server.  However, we have noticed some strange behaviors.

First item:
     We have a small network set up in one of our public labs.  On this
network we have various software installed (we own software for each
station, so we are not breaking any laws).  We can successfully launch
an application off of the file server by double-clicking on a document
created by that software.  But if we try to do the same thing on a second
workstation, we get a message that the file is "busy or in use".  Then
we tried launching from the application directly.  No problems at all.
Feature, bug, or minor annoyance?

Second item:
     On a second file serving network that we set up, we have a copy of
HyperCard installed to be used for 9 machines (all came with HyperCard).
However only one person can launch HyperCard.  If a second tries (either
directly or indirectly by double-clicking on the application or on a stack)
they get the message "application is busy or in use".  But if we do the
same thing on our other network, it works.  All settings appear to be the
same.  The only difference between the two networks is the fact that on the
one that works, we installed all of the software onto a newly formatted hard
disk.  On the other (the one that doesn't work) we used an existing hard
disk that already had the software on it.  What is the difference?

Third item:
     This doesn't really involve AppleShare.  When using a single-drive
Mac II (what a crime) getting the MacWrite application from a file
server, and opening a file that is stored on a separate disk, you have
to do disk swaps to read in the file.  This was not suprising.  But then
when you just read in this file for editing, you are required to swap your
data disk for the system disk and back again EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A CHANGE.
This gets very annoying.  We found that the only way to get around this
is to do a "Save as..." to save the file to the file server.  Then everything
is o.k.  When we are finished making our changes, we do another "Save as..."
to save the file back to our data disk (this is a public lab open for
students so we do not have any permanent centralized storage; we do
however offer FREE laser printers).  Another weird message:  When we do
the "Save as..." to the file server, we get a dialog on the screen telling
us that this may require multiple disk swaps, but in reality it DOES NOT
REQUIRE ANY.  The entire save operation does not require us to swap disks
at all.  Strangeness...

Thanks for listening.  I'll hope to be hearing responses by e-mail.

Michael Niehaus
Ball State University
Computer Competency Project
Lab Management Office

Usenet: ...!{pur-ee,iuvax}!bsu-cs!mithomas

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/19/88)

In article <4307@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>I have a few comments to make and questions to ask about our recently
>installed AppleShare File Server 2.0 networks. >
>First item:
>     We have a small network set up in one of our public labs.  On this
>network we have various software installed (we own software for each
>station, so we are not breaking any laws).  We can successfully launch
>an application off of the file server by double-clicking on a document
>created by that software.  But if we try to do the same thing on a second
>workstation, we get a message that the file is "busy or in use".  Then
>we tried launching from the application directly.  No problems at all.
>Feature, bug, or minor annoyance?

Not a bug.  This feature is on an application per application basis.
Some won't give you the message "This file is busy or in use" if they
have multi-user capabilities.  Some will give you the message even if
they have multi-user capapbilities that have been supressed.  In this
case, whip out ResEdit and Get Info on the file.  You'll notice the
"Shared" bit is off.  Click it on.  If the program can support multi-users,
from now on you won't get that message.

>Second item:
>     On a second file serving network that we set up, we have a copy of
>HyperCard installed to be used for 9 machines (all came with HyperCard).
>However only one person can launch HyperCard.  If a second tries (either
>directly or indirectly by double-clicking on the application or on a stack)
>they get the message "application is busy or in use".  But if we do the
>same thing on our other network, it works.  All settings appear to be the
>same.

Hmmm...see above tip.  Check the copies of HyperCard on each network.

Hope some of these hints help...

Ken

Ken Hancock  '90                   | BITNET/UUCP/
Personal Computing Ctr Consultant  |   INTERNET:  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
DISCLAIMER?  I don't get paid enough to worry about disclaimers.