[comp.sys.mac] Changing DeskTop Pattern

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (10/17/88)

How does one revert to the default desktop pattern after having changed it
with the Control Panel?  I had always thought that this could be done by just
changing the pattern again via the Control Panel, but this did not work for me
today.  Here is what happened:

A family member was "playing" with my Mac SE at home, and changed the desktop
pattern.  The Mac had not been shut off when I found it displaying an
"unusual" pattern.  I opened the Control Panel, choose the "normal" pattern
with the "General" cdev, and closed the Control Panel.  No change.  OK, I
thought, I have to restart the Mac for the change to take effect.  Restart.
Still the unusual pattern.  Tried choosing Shutdown with the Control Panel
still open: still the same unusual pattern.  Removed all non-Apple INITs,
restarted, chose the correct pattern and restarted: still no change.  Zapped
the parameter RAM by holding down control-shift-option while choosing the
Control Panel (certainly this would work as it resets the parameter to factory
defaults!) but still no change.

I rebooted with a different floppy.... ahhh, there was the proper desktop
pattern.  OK, I rebooted again with the original floppy.... again the unusual
pattern came up.  From this I surmised that the desktop pattern is stored in
the System file rather than the parameter RAM.  OK, but why was this not being
changed by the Control Panel?

Having no success, I was faced with the option of reinstalling the System file
on my "corrupted" floppy, or toying around with ResEdit and seeing what havoc
I could create.  Feeling inquisitive, I choose the latter.  I found the
unusual desktop pattern in the "PAT" resource in the System file.  I opened
another System file, found the "normal" desktop pattern in its PAT resource,
copied it and pasted it in place of the unusual pattern resource and saved the
changes.  Eureka, the "corrupted" Systenm file now showed the normal desktop
pattern when I rebooted with it.

So, I fixed the problem, but it sure seems to me the fix ought to be a whole
lot easier than it was.  Why couldn't I change the desktop pattern back using
the Control Panel?  Isn't it supposed to work that way?  Is this a bug or was
I not using the Control Panel correctly?  (I am running the System 5.0 files,
i.e. System 4.2 and Finder 6.0.)

Sorry for the length of this message, but I wanted to explain the situation as
completely as possibe.  Please help.... this is driving me nuts!

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/18/88)

In article <1119@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
>How does one revert to the default desktop pattern after having changed it
>with the Control Panel?  I had always thought that this could be done by just
>changing the pattern again via the Control Panel, but this did not work for me
>today.  Here is what happened:

[*lengthy* description of much hassling, up to and including ResEdit, deleted]

Editing the little FatBits blowup of the pattern isn't enough.  You also have
to click on the little normal-size picture of the desktop that's to the right
of the FatBits section for the change to take effect.

>Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

Sheesh... doesn't *anyone* read their Mac manuals anymore?  :-)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "SINGAPORE?!?  You're supposed to be a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  COWBOY!  What kind of cowboy song is
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  THAT??!!  Singapore, I oughta--"
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |      -- Eddie Foy, _The Cowboy Wally Story_

armond@sdsu.UUCP (Armond Mehrabian) (10/19/88)

In article <1119@lakesys.UUCP>, macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
> How does one revert to the default desktop pattern after having changed it
> with the Control Panel?  I had always thought that this could be done by just
> changing the pattern again via the Control Panel, but this did not work for me
> today.  Here is what happened:
>
> [ stuff deleted ]

Just click on the right side pattern window (the one with the two triangles
on top) after you have chosen the right pattern, and the screen will
automatically change to that pattern.

Dave