[comp.sys.mac] SCORES ordeal + new

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (10/08/88)

I've spent the last 3 months without a hard disk. The reason? Catastrophic
failure. Inability to reformat, etc. This ordeal included shipping the device
to Wisconsin (I'm in Texas) *4 times* to get it repaired. Recently, however,
I learned the cause of the problem: SCORES infection. The reason it wouldn't
reformat (normally a sure indication of a hardware problem) was, of course,
that the formatter itself was infected. When I booted up the "repaired"
hard disk, it seemed to work fine, until after I ran an application. Then
things started crashing again. The infected application had wrecked the device's
new System. Well, enough of the sob story.

The second thing I wanted to point out in this post is that apparently a
System can be fully infected WITHOUT showing the symptoms on the desktop.
Those symptoms are, as you know, "blank document" ScrapBook and NotePad icons,
and two invisibles files called "Desktop" and "Scores." I just finished
examining a System Folder on a floppy I had lying around; it looked clean as
a whistle. Upon opening it with ResEdit, though, I found ALL(?) of the resources
created in a SCORES infection: DATA ID -4001, atpl ID 128, and INIT's 6, 10,
and 17. This was a supposedly unaltered copy of 6.0/4.2.

I booted up under that System about 10 times, and ran a number of applications
under it as well, trying to get something to happen. No luck. The applications
weren't infected, nor did the telltale signs appear in the System
Folder. The SCORES-installed resources WERE, however, detected by the program
"KillScores 1.0."

From reading the available documentation, I had the impression that those
System Folder additions ALWAYS occured as a result of infection. Not true?
Or, perhaps SCORES has some kind of delayed-action mechanism, where the
resources sit idle until Event X, then create the files.

I understand that the FBI knows who created this unseen horror. If so, whatever
happened to him? If he's been arrested and they're trying to decide what
to do with the bastard, I have some good ideas. Words cannot describe what
I've been through.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>--Ron Morgan--------------{ames, utah-cs, uunet}!ut-sally!ut-emx!osmigo-------<
>--Univ. of Texas--{gatech, harvard, pyramid, sequent}!ut-sally!ut-emx!osmigo--<
>--Austin, Texas--------osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP-------osmigo@emx.utexas.edu---------<
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (10/10/88)

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of KillScores 1.0?

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/11/88)

> I've spent the last 3 months without a hard disk. The reason? Catastrophic
> failure. Inability to reformat, etc. This ordeal included shipping the device
> to Wisconsin (I'm in Texas) *4 times* to get it repaired. Recently, however,
> I learned the cause of the problem: SCORES infection. The reason it wouldn't
> reformat (normally a sure indication of a hardware problem) was, of course,
> that the formatter itself was infected. When I booted up the "repaired"
> hard disk, it seemed to work fine, until after I ran an application. Then
> things started crashing again. The infected application had wrecked the device's
> new System. Well, enough of the sob story.

This is indeed a horrible story, and I sympathize with your plight.  When
Scores first appeared I studied it, figured out how it worked, and posted
some notes on what I'd discovered.  I find several of your remarks
quite puzzling.

I don't understand why you formatter wouldn't work, even though it was
infected with Scores.  Most applicatations continue to work fine when
they're infected.  One possibility is if the formatter has a gap of size
one in the numbering of its CODE resources.  For example, if the CODE
resources were numbered 1,2,3,5,6,7,...  In this example there's a gap of
size 1 at resource number 4, and Scores would try to add a new CODE segment
number 5.  This screws up the application so that it most likely will
bomb on launch.  KillScores can disinfect such an application, but
Ferret doesn't even think it's infected.

I also don't understand why your "repaired" hard disk worked fine until
you ran an infected application.  Systems usually continue to work properly
after they become infected.  This may be some sort of conflict between
your hard disk driver and Scores.

> The second thing I wanted to point out in this post is that apparently a
> System can be fully infected WITHOUT showing the symptoms on the desktop.
> Those symptoms are, as you know, "blank document" ScrapBook and NotePad icons,
> and two invisibles files called "Desktop" and "Scores." I just finished
> examining a System Folder on a floppy I had lying around; it looked clean as
> a whistle. Upon opening it with ResEdit, though, I found ALL(?) of the resources
> created in a SCORES infection: DATA ID -4001, atpl ID 128, and INIT's 6, 10,
> and 17. This was a supposedly unaltered copy of 6.0/4.2.

I've noticed this too, especially on floppies.  Sometimes only part of the
viral resources are installed.  In all the cases I've come across it's
because the disk becomes full.  Scores installs its viral resources in the
following order:

   System file
   Scores file
   NotePad file
   Scrapbook file
   Desktop file

In your case your floppy probably became full after the five viral resources
were installed on your system file.  Scores continued to try to infect
the other four files, but nothing happened because the floppy was full.

> I booted up under that System about 10 times, and ran a number of applications
> under it as well, trying to get something to happen. No luck. The applications
> weren't infected, nor did the telltale signs appear in the System
> Folder. The SCORES-installed resources WERE, however, detected by the program
> "KillScores 1.0."

Scores does not begin to spread until two days after the system is infected.
In addition, due to what appears to be a bug in Scores, each time an
infected application is run during that two day dormant period, the system
is infected AGAIN and the timer is RESET.  Thus you have to actually a) run
an infected application, and b) NOT run an infected application for another
two days, before it begins to spread.  This may be what happened to you.

> From reading the available documentation, I had the impression that those
> System Folder additions ALWAYS occured as a result of infection. Not true?
> Or, perhaps SCORES has some kind of delayed-action mechanism, where the
> resources sit idle until Event X, then create the files.

Scores does have delayed-action mechanisms, but not in this case.  It tries
to create all of the system folder viral stuff when an infected application
is launched.  As I mentioned above, what probably happened to you was that
your floppy became full.

> I understand that the FBI knows who created this unseen horror. If so, whatever
> happened to him? If he's been arrested and they're trying to decide what
> to do with the bastard, I have some good ideas. Words cannot describe what
> I've been through.

>--Ron Morgan

Why hasn't this criminal been arrested and prosecuted?  Scores has
spread very widely and is still spreading, and has caused great damage.
We recently experienced a small infection in our labs and on our servers
here at Northwestern, and it cost at least 50-60 man hours to examine and
disinfect everything in sight.  In your case you lost three months!
Multiply that by the number of infections around the world, and there must
have been many tens of thousands of man hours lost because of this plague.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:   JLN@NUACC
Internet: JLN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (10/11/88)

In article <10330053@eecs.nwu.edu> jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
>  I find several of your remarks
>quite puzzling.
>
>I don't understand why you formatter wouldn't work, even though it was
>infected with Scores.

According to the documentation that came with KillScores, it can cause
applications to crash or do strange things. I had several applications
that bombed mercilessly until I disinfected them, then they worked perfectly.
The formatter was no exception. I should point out here, BTW, that the hard
disk's manufacturer spent a WEEK testing the device, and found nothing wrong
with it. It reformatted and worked flawlessly on their bench. Their software,
of course, wasn't infected. So, they sent it back. Then we went through the
same thing AGAIN.

>I also don't understand why your "repaired" hard disk worked fine until
>you ran an infected application.  Systems usually continue to work properly
                                           ^^^^^^^
Apparently "usually" is the correct word.

>In your case your floppy probably became full after the five viral resources
>were installed on your system file.  Scores continued to try to infect
>the other four files, but nothing happened because the floppy was full.

No, the floppy isn't full. Has about 45K left. Also, and correct me if I'm
wrong, but Scores doesn't simply "infect" the other four files (desktop,
notepad, scrapbook). It *creates* them. They will be present in an infected
System Folder even if they (spec. Scrapbook and Notepad) were previously
removed from the System.

>> I understand that the FBI knows who created this unseen horror.
>> If so, whatever happened to him?

>Why hasn't this criminal been arrested and prosecuted?

Can anybody answer this? Perhaps it's a question of proof. How can one
*prove* that the virus caused a program with 400,000 bytes of code to crash,
short of hiring a team of programmers to spend 10 years going through the
code word-by-word and figuring it out?

And yes, you're right. Scores is still very much alive and spreading. I've
already met two other people with infected systems composed of large hard
drives and dozens of infected applications. Both of them are very active in
downloading/uploading applications to and from BBS's. There's no question in
my mind that ANY application that isn't shrink-wrapped when you get it should
be considered dangerous. Just think of the damage *one* single infected
application on a BBS or public database (Genie, comp.sys.mac, et. al.) could
do over time. Keep in mind that we're talking about a virus that will actually
search out applications to infect, even if they aren't run. If you've ever
seen your infected disk drive start spinning for no reason, that's the Scores
virus on a "hunting trip." Who knows, unless Apple builds a virus-guard/killer
into its ROM or System files, Scores will probably be with us for a long,
long time.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>--Ron Morgan--------------{ames, utah-cs, uunet}!ut-sally!ut-emx!osmigo-------<
>--Univ. of Texas--{gatech, harvard, pyramid, sequent}!ut-sally!ut-emx!osmigo--<
>--Austin, Texas--------osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP-------osmigo@emx.utexas.edu---------<
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Jim_Harvey@mailcom.UUCP (Jim Harvey) (10/11/88)

I've written an application to remove the SCORES virus from infected
applications (it's nowhere near as good as others around any more.)  I
can say with certainty from disassembling the virus and understanding
every single line of its object code, that infected applications can be
100% brought back to their original state, uninfected and functional.

The problem with reinfection is probably applications being launched from
a floppy that hasn't been cleaned out.  Run KillScores, Ferret, Virus RX
from Apple, and any other anti-viral utility, on all of your floppies.
Now you're clean....

Next, get Vaccine from CE Software.  It's available on most commercial
services including Compuserve, and on plenty of private services.
Vaccine will warn you RIGHT AWAY if Scores is trying to infect your
system.

You're all set-- unless you bought programs from EDS Data Systems.
SCORES deliberately damages applications with creator types from EDS.

---
 * Origin: MailCom INTERNET: f444.n204.z1.Fidonet.org  Palo Alto (415) 855-9548 (Opus 1:204/444)
SEEN-BY: 203/34 204/444

--
INTERNET:  f444.n204.z1.Fidonet.org UUCP: sun!sunncal!mailcom

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/12/88)

>According to the documentation that came with KillScores, it can cause
>applications to crash or do strange things. I had several applications
>that bombed mercilessly until I disinfected them, then they worked perfectly.
>The formatter was no exception.

Yes, Scores can cause applications to crash or do strange things.  In my
earlier reply I pointed out one case - code segment gaps of size 1.
For example, some versions of Red Ryder and Stuffit have this property.
If your formatter wouldn't run at all (crashed immediately on launch)
I'd suspect this gap problem.

Scores also uses memory, so applications that need lots of memory might
not work properly on infected systems.

>>I also don't understand why your "repaired" hard disk worked fine until
>>you ran an infected application.  Systems usually continue to work properly
>                                           ^^^^^^^
>Apparently "usually" is the correct word.

Your case is the first I've heard of a system that won't function at all
when infected.  As I said before, I suspect a conflict between Scores
and your disk driver.  For example, they might both be trying to use the
same unit table entry.  What kind of drive are you using?

>>In your case your floppy probably became full after the five viral resources
>>were installed on your system file.  Scores continued to try to infect
>>the other four files, but nothing happened because the floppy was full.
>
>No, the floppy isn't full. Has about 45K left. Also, and correct me if I'm
>wrong, but Scores doesn't simply "infect" the other four files (desktop,
>notepad, scrapbook). It *creates* them. They will be present in an infected
>System Folder even if they (spec. Scrapbook and Notepad) were previously
>removed from the System.

You're correct - the Desktop, Scores, Notepad, and Scrapbook files are all
created if they don't already exist.  I am quite mystified as to why Scores
didn't create them in your case if your floppy wasn't full.

>Perhaps it's a question of proof. How can one
>*prove* that the virus caused a program with 400,000 bytes of code to crash,
>short of hiring a team of programmers to spend 10 years going through the
>code word-by-word and figuring it out?

I have gone through Scores in great detail.  I've examined every single line
of code and figured out what it does.  It contains roughly 2,500 machine
language instructions.  This took about two weeks of very hard work.
Of course, I didn't have access to source code.  I had to use a
dissassembly listing and reverse-engineer the beast.  Every significant
fact I discovered by exmining the code was verified by testing on an
infected system, using a debugger, ResEdit, and other programming tools.

The only things that Scores does ON PURPOSE are spread itself and attack
VULT and ERIC.  Many people, however, have noticed undesirable behaviour
on infected systems, including problems printing and problems with MacDraw
and Excel.  I suspect memory problems in these cases, although I'm not
sure.  I haven't been able to duplicate them on my systems.  I've found
a number of bugs and what look like oversights in Scores, but none of them
seem to be really serious.  Of course, it's very possible, indeed likely,
that I've overlooked something.  Scores is very complicated, and there are
many ways in which it can interact in strange ways with other applications
and system software.  I'm still discovering new things about it.  Your
problem is definitely the worst one I've heard about.

In the case of a specific program that bombs repeatedly on an infected
system, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to discover why, provided source
code is available for the program in question, and provided the
investigators are experienced Mac programmers with a thorough knowledge
of the virus in question. It might not be easy, but it should be doable
in a reasonable amount of time.

The fact that a virus does not contain any specific damaging attacks on
other applications or system software does not make it harmless, as we've
all discovered in the case of Scores.  The mere fact that they occupy disk
space and memory makes them dangerous.  Scores only contains specific
attacks against VULT and ERIC, which were never released to the general
public, but it is still a monster that has caused great damage.
I certainly hope that any future anti-virus legislation will not
make deliberate attacks a requirement for successful prosecution.  Any
self-replicating code distributed without the knowledge and consent of
the users should be illegal.

>Keep in mind that we're talking about a virus that will actually
>search out applications to infect, even if they aren't run. If you've ever
>seen your infected disk drive start spinning for no reason, that's the Scores
>virus on a "hunting trip."

This is false.  Scores only infects applications that are actually run.
The infection occurs between 2 and 3 minutes after the application is
launched.  When you hear the disk whir at an odd time it is Scores infecting
the current application.  Scores does not go on any "hunting trips".

>And yes, you're right.  Scores is still very much alive and spreading.

It can't hurt to once again very strongly recommend that Mac users
obtain and install the Vaccine CDEV.  It is effective against Scores.
If you try to run an infected application on an uninfected, vaccinated
system your machine will bomb, and your system will not be infected.
When this happens you should use Virus Rx, Interferon, or some other
virus detection tool to investigate the suspected application.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:    jln@nuacc
Internet:  jln@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

riley@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Christian Riley) (10/12/88)

It turns out, I also had a Scores Infection.  Several weeks ago, I went to
get version 1.2 of Hypercard since I hadn't gotten around to getting the
update yet.  Well, it was on the Mac //s hard disk at the store and when I
copied Hypdercard off, that disk got infected.  After copying Hypercard to
my hard disk, I didn't use it much.  Then last weekend, I noticed a lot of
bombs and applications not being able to find files (ie Red Ryder not
finding RRJ$ at startup etc) and found I was infected.

Normally I have Vaccine on, but I had it off because I was doing a little
programming.  I believe that now I have gotten rid of it, but it did make
me waste quite a bit of time.

Chris
"We must control men in order to force them to be free."
Chris Riley
riley@cs.ucsd.edu

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (10/12/88)

In article <10330055@eecs.nwu.edu> jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:

>Yes, Scores can cause applications to crash or do strange things.  In my
>earlier reply I pointed out one case - code segment gaps of size 1.

My hard disk drive is a Mirror Magnet 40X. It uses a Seagate ST-251 with the
Adaptec card. The Mirror formatter has CODE's 0,1,2,3, and 4. That's about
all I can tell you!

>Your case is the first I've heard of a system that won't function at all
>when infected.

It might have been Finder. According to the documentation I've read, Scores
"likes" to infect Finder, and Finder WAS infected.

>  It contains roughly 2,500 machine
>language instructions.  This took about two weeks of very hard work.
>  I had to use a
>dissassembly listing and reverse-engineer the beast.  Every significant
>fact I discovered by exmining the code was verified by testing on an
>infected system, using a debugger, ResEdit, and other programming tools.

We need more guys like you!!!  (-8
> including problems printing and problems with MacDraw
Yes, there were a number of occasions when I'd try to print out a document
(From Draw, MacWrite, WriteNow and others) and would get, say, 3 lines of
garbage per page.
>sure.  I haven't been able to duplicate them on my systems.

According to what I've read, the effects of Scores can vary from machine to
machine. It'll infect one application on my machine, and leave it untouched
on your machine.

>>Keep in mind that we're talking about a virus that will actually
>>search out applications to infect, even if they aren't run. If you've ever
>>seen your infected disk drive start spinning for no reason, that's the Scores
>>virus on a "hunting trip."
>
>This is false.  Scores only infects applications that are actually run.
>Scores does not go on any "hunting trips."

This is in direct contradiction to the documentation that came with
KillScores 1.0. The literature was written by Howard Upchurch, and
says [quote]:

	"As the infected disk is used, the virus continually seeks uncon-
	 taminated applications. The present thought is that it searches
	 in a random fashion at an interval of 3 1/2 minutes...after a
	 long enough period of time, every application on the disk will
	 be infected, apparently whether it has been used or not."

On another page, he says:

	"...an application does not have to have been run for it
	 to be contaminated."If you are saying you've found contradictory information, could you please say so explicitly?

I have one more question for you, since you obviously know more about this
than I do. Would the problems caused by Scores appear the FIRST time a
"clean" application is run? I noted that when I ran Yeager Advanced Flight
Trainer (a known clean copy) on my infected system, it failed to work the
very first time, saying the application file was busy or damaged.

Many, many thanks for your words on this matter.

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/12/88)

>>Your case is the first I've heard of a system that won't function at all
>>when infected.
>
>It might have been Finder. According to the documentation I've read, Scores
>"likes" to infect Finder, and Finder WAS infected.

Yes, Finder almost always gets infected, but this doesn't usually cause
any problems.

>>>Keep in mind that we're talking about a virus that will actually
>>>search out applications to infect, even if they aren't run. If you've ever
>>>seen your infected disk drive start spinning for no reason, that's the Scores
>>>virus on a "hunting trip."
>>
>>This is false.  Scores only infects applications that are actually run.
>>Scores does not go on any "hunting trips."
>
>This is in direct contradiction to the documentation that came with
>KillScores 1.0. The literature was written by Howard Upchurch, and
>says [quote]:
>
>	"As the infected disk is used, the virus continually seeks uncon-
>	 taminated applications. The present thought is that it searches
>	 in a random fashion at an interval of 3 1/2 minutes...after a
>	 long enough period of time, every application on the disk will
>	 be infected, apparently whether it has been used or not."
>
>On another page, he says:
>
>	"...an application does not have to have been run for it
>	 to be contaminated."If you are saying you've found contradictory
>        information, could you please say so explicitly?

Howard wrote this before I had disassembled and figured out Scores in
detail.  He made a reasonable educated guess based on observing the
behaviour of infected systems, but he was wrong.

This is only one of many incorrect rumors that have been spread about
Scores.  Another one that won't seem to die is that Scores contains some
sort of special code designed to fool ResEdit.  This is not true.  Yes,
you can disinfect your system file with ResEdit, rerun ResEdit, and
discover that your system file is still infected.  All this means is that
ResEdit itself was infected, and it reinfected your system the second time
you launched it.  There's no magic here.

>I have one more question for you, since you obviously know more about this
>than I do. Would the problems caused by Scores appear the FIRST time a
>"clean" application is run? I noted that when I ran Yeager Advanced Flight
>Trainer (a known clean copy) on my infected system, it failed to work the
>very first time, saying the application file was busy or damaged.

Sorry, I don't really have any ideas.  It could be almost anything, and I'd
have to see it first hand to figure out what's happening.

I obviously don't know everything, since I can't explain most of the
problems you've experienced.  I wish I knew what was going on.

>Many, many thanks for your words on this matter.

You are welcome.  I hope I've helped.

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/13/88)

Jim Harvey writes:

>Run KillScores, Ferret, Virus RX from Apple, and any other anti-viral
>utility, on all of your floppies. Now you're clean....

Virus Rx from Apple will detect the Scores virus, but not get rid of it.
Ferret has a number of serious bugs, and in some cases will leave your
system infected, as I reported in a posting to comp.sys.mac on 5/2/88.
I recommend KillScores.

>Vaccine will warn you RIGHT AWAY if Scores is trying to infect your
>system.

Vaccine will try to warn you by putting up a dialog box.  Unfortunately,
at the time Scores tries to infect your system the dialog manager is not
yet initialized, so Vaccine bombs.  Your system is protected (not infected),
but the only warning you get is the system error alert.

>You're all set-- unless you bought programs from EDS Data Systems.
>SCORES deliberately damages applications with creator types from EDS.

According to magazine articles (see InfoWorld and MacWeek in
particular), the programs in question (VULT and ERIC) were never released
or sold to the general public.

Robert Dorsett writes to Jim Harvey:

>I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a disassembly of the virus.
>Could you post it to the net or comp.sources.mac (if it's still around)?

NO, NO, NO!!!!  Please don't post disassemblies or sources for viruses!!!
This has happened in the past, and the result has been a flurry of
new viruses based on the one posted.  This is absolutely the worst thing
that you could do!

Those of us doing research on viruses must very carefully consider the
consequences of all our public actions.  I feel that it's OK to tell
people what damage a virus does, how to detect it, and how to get rid of it.
This is being socially responsible, and provides a needed service.  But it's
incredibly irresponsible to tell people how they work or how to write one!

rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (10/14/88)

>/* Written  5:15 pm  Oct 12, 1988 by mentat@juniper.uucp in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
>In article <70.23534FAB@mailcom.UUCP> Jim_Harvey@mailcom.UUCP (Jim Harvey) writes:
>>I've written an application to remove the SCORES virus from infected
>>applications (it's nowhere near as good as others around any more.)  I
>>can say with certainty from disassembling the virus and understanding
>>every single line of its object code, that infected applications can be
>>100% brought back to their original state, uninfected and functional.
>
>I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a disassembly of the virus.
>Could you post it to the net or comp.sources.mac (if it's still around)?
>

>--
>Robert Dorsett                                    University of Texas at Austin
>
>UUCP: {ames,utah-cs,rutgers}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!juniper!mentat
>      mentat@juniper.UUCP
>/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

Not to pick on Robert Dorsett, because I also would be interested in seeing a
disassembly of SCORES.  I think it would be VERY DANGEROUS.  There are probably
a very large number of people out there who are legitmately curious about how
a virus works in practice, not just in thoery.  But then again there are always
the few; think about the person(s) who wrote SCORES, they designed it to target
EDS applications.  That took a good working knoweldge of the Mac, and a good
healthy does of grade school morality.  Posting a disassembly would only
encourage the more mediorcre programmers to write a virus.  Mabey, to make a
name for him/herself, but probably for the thrill of it and mabey in a more
destructive manor.                (for the thrill of it Diet Coke :-)).

Bob Frank - struggling undergrad @ UofIllinois
	    rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

gld@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Greg L. Dykema) (10/14/88)

In article <10330059@eecs.nwu.edu>, jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
> NO, NO, NO!!!!  Please don't post disassemblies or sources for viruses!!!
>
> Those of us doing research on viruses must very carefully consider the
> consequences of all our public actions.  I feel that it's OK to tell
> people what damage a virus does, how to detect it, and how to get rid of it.
> This is being socially responsible, and provides a needed service.  But it's
> incredibly irresponsible to tell people how they work or how to write one!
>
> John Norstad
> Academic Computing and Network Services
> Northwestern University
>
> Bitnet:    jln@nuacc
> Internet:  jln@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

This is one way of looking at the question of whether or not to publicize
virus code and exact descriptions of virus operation. The other option
is to release all the information anyone can find on viruses to everyone.
The reasoning behind the former is that you hope to limit the number of
people who have the desire and/or knowledge to write a virus--if someone
didn't know what a virus is, they may not think of the possibility on
their own, and without explicit examples, they may not know how to write
one. The first "hope" is useless--many people know what a virus is and
basically what it does. The second is not much good either--viruses are not
hard to write and any decent programmer with the desire can write one.
The only thing you avoid is handing someone "ready-made trouble" and
perhaps giving someone the ability to distribute a virus if they did
not have the necessary skills already.

But we have lost something too. We have lost a free exchange of information,
admittedly information that could help or hurt. But I believe that the
"additional" damage releasing virus source code might do is not worth
the loss of information, information necessary if one is to understand the
possible threat of viruses (and specific viruses in the case of publishing
specific source code) and to defend against them. What gives anyone the
right to decide in whose hands this "priviledged information" will lie?

In any event, I believe that the question of whether not to publish virus
source code does NOT have a clear answer!

Greg Dykema

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/14/88)

Robert Dorsett of the University of Texas at Austin and Greg Dykema
of the University of Michigan both disagree with my opinion that we
shouldn't post disassemblies or sources for viruses.

Dykema says:

>In any event, I believe that the question of whether not to publish virus
>source code does NOT have a clear answer!

I agree.  When I had figured out how Scores worked in April and began
to prepare my original posting to comp.sys.mac I had to very seriously
consider this issue.  It was definitely not easy deciding how much to
reveal about the internal details of Scores.  My final decision was to
tell what Scores does to your system, how to detect it, and how to get
rid of it.  This does involve revealing some of the internal technical
details.

Most of the many people who corresponded with me about my
postings agreed with my policy.  But at least one very knowledgable
person felt I was actually doing harm by posting at all!  He felt that
those of us who know about viruses should just keep quite in the hope
that the virus-writing "fad" will die a natural death.  He found my
posting much too technical and thought it gave too much help to potential
virus writers.  I disagree with this person, but it shows that there's
a whole spectrum of opinion on this issue.  I guess I'm a "moderate".

Dykema also says:

>...viruses are not
>hard to write and any decent programmer with the desire can write one.
>The only thing you avoid is handing someone "ready-made trouble" and
>perhaps giving someone the ability to distribute a virus if they did
>not have the necessary skills already.

Robert Dorsett says:

>Denying public knowledge of viruses does *not* protect against them, mere-
>ly guarantees that attack strategies remain unknown.
>I'm willing to
>bet that we will *not* be subject to "a flurry of new viruses" if source is
>posted.

Viruses are not hard to write, but they're not easy to write either.  It
does take quite a bit of work, knowledge, and time to write a virus
from scratch on the Mac.  It's hard enough so that only somebody with quite
a bit of free time and a very strong desire is going to write one.  But
almost anybody can quite easily hack together a variant of an existing
virus given source code.

This has already happened in the Mac world with the nVIR virus.  A German
programmer posted source code on CompuServe, and several mutations
of nVIR appeared.  (Disclaimer:  I have no first-hand knowledge of this,
and I haven't seen his posting.  I've just read about the incident.  I'm
an expert on Scores, but not on nVIR.)

It seems very clear to me that posting sources for viruses is asking for
trouble.  Denying public knowlege of the nitty-gritty technical details
does help to protect against them.  This is the main argument in favor
of my position.

Dorsett writes:

>Understanding a virus is essential to combatting it, even from the user
>level.  Even now, months, presumably, after SCORES has been disassembled by
>certain users on the net, we still have people running around like chickens
>with their heads cut off, with nary a clue as to how it propagates itself,
>afraid to run software "sanitised" by killscores, "reverse engineering" the
>viruses from the user level, etc.  I think that to at LEAST provide a clear
>description of how it works is to benefit the community at large.

Understanding what a virus does to your system, how to detect it, and how
to get rid of it are essential to combatting it.  Understanding the
complete technical details of how it works internally is helpful but not
essential.  I've tried to provide clear descriptions of the technical
information that people need to combat Scores, and it has been a great
help to many, many people.  But I refuse to reveal internal details that
are not critically relevant to this goal.

You are absolutely correct that a great deal of erroneous information has
been spread about Scores.  Even now magazine articles and network postings
are more often than not inaccurate.  This is unfortunate, but probably
unavoidable.  I've done everything in my power to dispel rumors and give
accurate information, and the situation has improved somewhat,
but the rumors still persist.

Dykema writes:

>But we have lost something too. We have lost a free exchange of information,
>admittedly information that could help or hurt. But I believe that the
>"additional" damage releasing virus source code might do is not worth
>the loss of information, information necessary if one is to understand the
>possible threat of viruses (and specific viruses in the case of publishing
>specific source code) and to defend against them.

This argument is very strong and well-stated.  I think that Dykema has
stated the main argument against my position.  I too believe in the
enormous value of the free exchange of information.  For example, I long
for the "good old days" when operating systems and major applications were
distributed with source code.  I learned how to program by studying those
sources.  Can you imagine how much better programmers we'd all be if we
had source for the ROM?  The current almost universal distribution of
programs without source code is tremendously harmful.

The problem in a nutshell is to balance the danger of showing hackers how
to write destructive code against the benefits of the free exchange of
information.  Dykema argues for free exchange.  But after extremely careful
consideration I have decided that the very real threat posed by these
extraordinarily dangerous viruses is more important.  This is sad but true.

Dykema again:

>What gives anyone the
>right to decide in whose hands this "priviledged information" will lie?

Another very telling argument.  Viruses are being written, and we need
a community of virus fighters working together to combat the plague.  But
if the members of this community can't exchange information freely, how
can they work effectively?  Who decides who gets to be a member of the
club?  For example, all of my work has been done in almost complete
isolation, with no help from others.  I am not a member of the "club", if
one exists.  I know that there are other Mac programmers out there
working on the same problems, but for the most part we don't communicate
or share our work.  I admit that I have no good answer to this question.

On a different topic, Dorsett writes:

>I view "virus killers" as almost as serious a threat as the virus
>they are alleged to combat.  The fact that none of these killers are distrib-
>uted in source form only adds to my reluctance to use them.

I tend to agree.  Virus fighting software should be distributed with source
code.  My colleague Albert Lunde has written a program VCheck, and he
distributes it with source code.

I can think of an exception, and that is CE Software's Vaccine.  If source
code were available it might make it too easy for virus writers to figure
out ways to get around Vaccine's protection.

I'd like to thank both Dorsett and Dykema for posting their
excellent notes.  This is a topic that needs discussion.  I disagree
with them, but I acknowledge and respect their opinions.  It is indeed
a very difficult problem.

Finally, I'd like to remind readers of this thread that I posted three
notes on Scores to comp.sys.mac last spring, on 4/18, 4/25, and 5/2.
They contain lots of useful, accurate information on Scores, but they
won't teach you how to write a Mac virus.  You may have missed them.
Anybody who would like copies should feel free to send me a note at the
address below.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:    jln@nuacc
Internet:  jln@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (10/15/88)

[Deleted positions on posting source to SCORES]

I hope we're not belaboring the point here, but I agree that the source to
SCORES should NOT be posted ANYWHERE. My reasons:

1.	It isn't necessary to have a "flurry of new viruses" to warrant
	keeping it off the lines. We only need consider the widespread
	misery that can be caused by ONE virus. Look at the recent post
	by the user who was infected at a university computer lab. Does
	anyone care to guess how many people will ultimately be infected
	by that ONE SINGLE COPY of that ONE virus?

2. 	I believe there is such a thing as "need to know." Good grief,
	keeping source code off the net isn't the same thing as a Nazi
	book-burning. Otherwise, we might as well applaud posts on how
	to manufacture explosives in your kitchen, or synthesize LSD.

3. 	I feel I can safely hypothesize that viruses will become more
	durable and pervasive over time. Each new virus, as it is ana-
	lyzed and as software is written to kill it, also gives would-be
	virus-writers a free lesson in "what not to do." Let's also keep
	in mind that SCORES is small-time, compared to some of the more
	sophisticated virii that have been written to attack mainframes
	and the like. The "next" generation of virii will certainly not
	have any "giveaways" such as the blank-document Scrapbook/Note-
	pad icons. It might quietly jump from application to application,
	skipping the System file. It might have a delayed-effect of
	MONTHS instead of SCORE's two days. It could target specific
	applications, such as backup software, for self-destruction
	next time they are run, instead of infecting "everything." How
	would you like to erase your hard disk, then find that your
	backup has turned into ASCII salad?

4. 	Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a programmer), but I think
	most people capable of analyzing a virus's source code would
	also be capable of writing their OWN virus-killers. We know
	what SCORES writes onto its targets; it would be a simple
	matter for a programmer to write an application to search
	for those strings and destroy them, if he's afraid to use
	the available anti-virus tools.

I'm *still* dying to know what happened to the person that wrote SCORES,
since his identity is reportedly known. *Surely* he was fired from his
job, for example.

Oh well, smile, have a nice day, and all that.....(-8

Ron

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (10/17/88)

In article <1255@zippy.eecs.umich.edu> gld@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Greg L. Dykema) writes:
<In article <10330059@eecs.nwu.edu>, jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:
<> NO, NO, NO!!!!  Please don't post disassemblies or sources for viruses!!!
<>
<
[...]

I have to agree with John here.  Releasing source code or exact descriptions
of what viruses do is tantamount to giving every half-competent programmer
in the world the ability to create a virus quickly and easily.

Something like the Scores virus does enough damage the way it is.  It doesn't
do anything actively except replicate itself, but its presense and its
reproductive activities cause enough problems.  Imagine if someone with the
least bit of programming skill got hold of a source copy and added a teensy
little routine to erase a desktop file or write over the boot blocks of a
hard disk?

Having the source code of a virus at hand would also help give someone the
knowledge necessary to circumvent all of the antivirus programs created to
date.  As Vaccine's author has said, the last thing we want is to fuel an
ongoing escalation whereby viruses get too smart for the antivirus programs,
which are then updated to take care of those viruses, which are then made
smarter, leading to...

In any case, no one need decide in whose hands this 'privileged information'
should lie.  Anyone with the ability to decompile a virus can look at it.
If you don't happen to have access to a virus to do this, DON'T COMPLAIN.
You've been lucky.  And no, I won't send you a copy of a virus, either.  This
isn't suppressing information, it's just refraining from publishing it.

I'm terrified that someone is going to get their hands on a virus' source
code and write the first virus that will REALLY be designed for damage.  It
won't be a pretty sight.

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/88)

	There is an article in the November MacWorld that suggests that the
SCORES virus was written by a disgruntled programmer, "SCORES was apperently
written to target two of EDS's (Electronic Data Systems) in-house programs that
bear the ERIC and VULT identifiers."  And, after NASA got infected the FBI was
called in to investigate.  Unfortunately, the article never says that the SCORES
autor was caught, prosocuted, and convcted.  Probably this was because they
lacked enough substantial evidence.

Bob Frank - undergrad @ UofIllinois
	    rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (10/18/88)

I have a question.  Is KillScores supposed to have a "nVIR" resource in it?
I looked at it and this just didn't seem quite right, but since I have two
independant copies and they both have them in there the only thing I can think
of is that KillScores it trying to fool the real nVIR into not infecting the
system with a dummy nVIR (I heard this could be done).  Is this true, or am
I just lucky I have yet to run this puppy?

Mark Cookson

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/19/88)

Mark Cookson writes:

>Is KillScores supposed to have a "nVIR" resource in it?
>I looked at it and this just didn't seem quite right, but since I have two
>independant copies and they both have them in there the only thing I can think
>of is that KillScores it trying to fool the real nVIR into not infecting the
>system with a dummy nVIR (I heard this could be done).  Is this true, or am
>I just lucky I have yet to run this puppy?

My copy of KillScores contains no nVIR resources.  Your copy is either
infected, or as you guessed, somebody added them in an attempt to
prevent infection by nVIR.

I wouldn't run them until and unless you find out what's going on.
If you could tell us the IDs and sizes of the nVIR resources we might
be able to give you more information.