[comp.sys.mac] Minimal configuration for NFNT resources

I was wondering what's required to be able to use the NFNT resources
for fonts like Palatino Italic, etc.  I have a 512KE with two
floppies, and was wondering if it would be practical to use just two
or three of them (probably italic versions) for use on the ImageWriter.
  First, can this be done with my system?  I know in theory it can
(since I have the new ROMs).  I'm using System 4.1/Finder 6.0, and
WriteNow; I'm fairly certain WriteNow can support it (in the upgraded
version if not this one).
  Second, where can I get the fonts?  Has Adobe released the screen
versions into the public domain, so that I could get a copy froms
someone who has them?  Is there someplace cheaper than the $50 Adobe
wants (I suspect that's mostly handling charge)?
  Finally, what would I need to install them in my system?  I'm
willing to do ResEdit hacking etc. if I need to, but would prefer
something less cumbersome....
  I apologize if this has been asked and answered many times before....

+----------------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student)	   | "UNIX: Just Say No!"   |
| Michigan State University	   | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+----------------------------------+------------------------+

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/18/88)

>I was wondering what's required to be able to use the NFNT resources
>for fonts like Palatino Italic, etc.  I have a 512KE with two
>floppies, and was wondering if it would be practical to use just two
>or three of them (probably italic versions) for use on the ImageWriter.

The new ROM's support it (512Ke or later). The first version of Font/DA
Mover to support NFNT's is 3.8, shipped with System 6.0, however you can use
3.8 with earlier versions.

>  Second, where can I get the fonts?  Has Adobe released the screen
>versions into the public domain, so that I could get a copy froms
>someone who has them?

Adobe hasn't released NFNT fonts, and probably won't for a while. You can
convert them over to NFNT's, though.
There are two programs I know of to do this:

	NFNT 1.0 by Olduvai Software. It works more or less okay, although
	I had it crash my system once.

	Font Harmony, which comes with Suitcase II. This also fixes problems
	with many of the Adobe suitcase files, will reconcile font numbers
	and do all sorts of neat things. I tossed out my old font files and
	recreated them with Suitcase II over the weekend, and it was
	really a nice utility. I'm impressed.

You can, for what it's worth, mix FONT/FOND/NFNT resources in the same
setup. My System File fonts (Geneva et al) haven't been converted.
Everything else I run has. Works fine.

>Is there someplace cheaper than the $50 Adobe
>wants (I suspect that's mostly handling charge)?

If you only need a few, download them from CompuServe, or find a print
service (Lino or LW timesharing setup) who'll let you have them. I've been
downloading them a few at a time as I decided to use the font for something
serious from CompuServe. I got the last of them over the weekend, just to
fill out the collection.

>  Finally, what would I need to install them in my system?  I'm
>willing to do ResEdit hacking etc. if I need to, but would prefer
>something less cumbersome....

If I were you, I'd:

	o immediately go and buy Suitcase II

	o Run all the fonts through Font Harmony.

	o Stick them in a folder somewhere

	o Open the fiels with Suitcase II

	o leave the system file alone.

One of the *nicest* things about Suitcase is that I no longer have to muck
with my system file in any way, shape or form (I still do, a bit, but I
don't *have* to). This makes re-installing, upgrades, etc, etc wonderful. If
I'm doing something that trashes my system file, I don't spend two hours
re-installing Da's and fonts and stuff. That's saved me enough time in the
last few months to MORE than pay for Suitcase.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (10/20/88)

In article <889@cps3xx.UUCP>, rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
> I was wondering what's required to be able to use the NFNT resources
> for fonts like Palatino Italic, etc.  I have a 512KE...
> Second, where can I get the fonts?  Has Adobe released the screen
> versions into the public domain, so that I could get a copy from
> someone who has them?  Is there someplace cheaper than the $50 Adobe
> wants (I suspect that's mostly handling charge)?
> Finally, what would I need to install them in my system?

If you want to use Adobe screen fonts to print on your ImageWriter, all you
need is the Adobe screen fonts and Font/DA Mover.  The Adobe screen fonts are
not public domain, but they are available for downloading from the Adobe
Forum on CompuServe.  I am not sure what restrictions, if any, Adobe places
on transferring screen fonts from one user to another, but there may be none.

I'm not sure why you mention NFNTs. NFNTs are simply FONTs with a different
resource type and with no encoding restrictions on the resource ID.  The only
benefits of NFNTs are (1) the ability to have font numbers greater
than 255, and (2) integration of stylistic variations into a single family,
instead of having separate families (separate font menu items) for each
style.  NFNTs are supported by the 512E, Plus, and later models of Macintosh.
Their use was not feasible, however, until Font/DA Mover 3.8 was released,
as earlier versions of Font/DA Mover would not move them.