[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase upgrade

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) (08/16/88)

The upgrade notice for Suitcase has been sent out, but so far (even at the
EXPO) it was a no show RSN product.  Looking at the comparisons between
Suitcase and "Master Juggler", Suitcase is slipping in this race.

I just got Master Juggler from the show and it is probably the most
impressive utility yet of it's breed.. but BIG.. the thing is still an INIT
and it's 212K in size.

Stu.

                    ______________
       -  -- ---  /  __________   /     "Now we send forth Jen.
          - ---  /  / #    #  /  /       Watch over his dangerous quest"
     --- -- --  /  /    /    /  /
  - - --- ---  /  /   \__/  /  / _________________________________________
 -- -- --- -  /  /_________/  / ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bldflame@crash nosc.mil
   -- --- -- / #        ___  / UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bldflame
 - --- - -  /---------------/ INET: bldflame@pnet06.cts.com
--  --- -  /_______________/ _____________________________________________
Lost & Found Disks? Fill in the standard Disk-Claimer? I know, bad pun :-)

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (08/20/88)

In article <1923@hodge.UUCP> bldflame@pnet06.cts.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
>The upgrade notice for Suitcase has been sent out, but so far (even at the
>EXPO) it was a no show RSN product.  Looking at the comparisons between
>Suitcase and "Master Juggler", Suitcase is slipping in this race.

>I just got Master Juggler from the show and it is probably the most
>impressive utility yet of it's breed.. but BIG.. the thing is still an INIT
>and it's 212K in size.

I've been partial to Suitcase myself ever since I tried a copy of Juggler +
(or whatever it was called) and the sucker crunched my HD, requiring a Disk
First Aid recovery.

However, it would be interesting to hear more about "Master Juggler."  Can
someone list the features of this INIT, or better yet, compare the features
that MJ offers with those of the new Suitcase?

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/24/88)

bldflame@pnet06.cts.com(Stu ?) writes in comp.sys.mac

>The upgrade notice for Suitcase has been sent out, but so far (even at the
>EXPO) it was a no show RSN product.  Looking at the comparisons between
>Suitcase and "Master Juggler", Suitcase is slipping in this race.
>
>I just got Master Juggler from the show and it is probably the most
>impressive utility yet of it's breed.. but BIG.. the thing is still an INIT
>and it's 212K in size.

	I too bought Master Juggler at Boston, after being a Suitcase user since
day 1 (or before that actually!), I thought that some of features in there were
nice and worth the $$.  It was not until I got it home, put in on my Mac and
then went about configuring it to work with my already existant setting that I
realized I was in trouble!!
	To begin with my Suitcase setup is probably unique.  I have Suitcase patched
so that it loads files from a folder called Suitcase Folder.  I have also
modified Suitcase so that it loads not only Fonts/DA's and FKEYs but also sounds
(like many others) and some special international resources that I use for my
work with the Script Manager.  So in this Suitcase Folder I have a couple of DA
files organized by function (Text, Graphic, etc.), Font files by type (LW fonts
LW+ Fonts, Other Laser, IW Fonts, etc.) and then one sound file, one FKEY file
and one International file.  All in All about 15 files!!
	So with Suitcase removed and Master Juggler installed, I rebooted and then
tried to configure MJ to work with my setup.  This is where my complaints began!
To begin with MJ does not recognize folders, so that you can't just say - Load
all files in this folder - you have to specify each file individually. O.K, I
can live with that since I only have to do it once and it remembers from boot
to boot.  So off I went opening each of my files into MJ.  The fonts and the
DA's and the FKEY's went just fine, but then it couldn't find my sounds file.
So I went into their Prefs dialog and told it to display ALL files (this is
a nice feature in general, and would love to see it in Suitcase!) and tried to
load in my sound file - WHOOPS!  A dialog that says that I can only have 12
files open at once.  O.K., I figure, Suitcase did the same thing until I fixed
it, so I just do the same thing with MJ.  A look through the docs revealed
nothing, and after a good run though the program with ResEdit I decided to call
the company - Isn't that what tech support is for anyway?  Well, what do you
know?  MJ does not supprt more than 12 files and the program is HARD CODED to
not use more than that!!  I asked if they had any plans to correct this, and
was told that (GET THIS) I was the first person ever (with any of their
products) to request more than 12 files!  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!?!

	Enough of this stuff...Overall I must say that I like MJ as it now only does
all of the things that Suitcase does, but also includes features found in OnQue
and SoundMaster - so it may save me some memory - but I had to do a LOT of
reorganization just to work with it.  When Suitcase II comes out I may switch
back, but for now I'll use MJ

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (08/26/88)

In article <46100205@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>To begin with my Suitcase setup is probably unique.  I have Suitcase patched
>so that it loads files from a folder called Suitcase Folder.  I have also
>modified Suitcase so that it loads not only Fonts/DAs and FKEYs but also sounds
>(like many others) and some special international resources that I use for my
>work with the Script Manager.

Why patch suitcase, when all you need to do is change the resource files' type
to 'FKAR'? Suitcase looks for 'FFIL','DFIL','FKEY' & 'FKAR'. Great, huh?

Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1000 members.

Phone Home:  +61-2-73-1016
OZ Post:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
Internet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!clubmac

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (09/13/88)

Hello Netland,

FYI: I just called fifth generation systems and they say the new version of
Suitcase will ship on Wednesday Sept. 14th.

thought people might want to know.

Special thanks to Fabian for the number.

rob

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu

Insert disclaimer here:

"The best way to get a drink out of a Vogon is to stick your finger down
his throat."
		Douglas Adams

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C. Esh) (09/16/88)

	I called 5th Generation on Sept. 15th to order the upgrade, and during
the course of the ordering process, the words "in about four weeks" were
mentioned TWICE.  I didn't pursue it, since I am so happy with Suitcase
that I plunked down my $25 and I will wait until it comes.
	Current Suitcase delivery calibration checkpoint is OCTOBER 13th.
Adjust your systems accordingly.

					- Andrew
--
Andrew C. Esh        DOMAIN: andrew@ems.MN.ORG     APPLELINK: D0492
EMS/McGraw-Hill      UUCP: ihnp4!meccts!ems!andrew      AT&T: (612) 829-8200

boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) (10/18/88)

Recently someone posted a message about Suitcase II being shipped.
I called Fifth generation and was told that there is some delay.
I asked why my credit card was charged on 8/26, and was told
"yeah, they did it to everybody."
I guess I did not get to customer service, since the woman on the phone
gave me another number (800-873-4384) which is busy for the last 4 hrs.
If someone has more info please post it. I see it advertised
in several mail order places.

		Boris Altman
		{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!boris

glavoy@Apple.COM (Gary LaVoy) (10/18/88)

In article <10731@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) writes:
>Recently someone posted a message about Suitcase II being shipped.
>If someone has more info please post it. I see it advertised
>in several mail order places.

yes. It has shipped.

csnet: glavoy@apple.com             |            Apple Computer, Inc.
UUCP: {sun, nsc, voder}!apple!glavoy|               Disneyland, Ca
Member: Information Society, 1988   |Disclaimer: I have no real views.
        Banzi Social Club, 1987     |---------------------------------

kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (10/18/88)

I got my upgrade to Suitcase last Friday (10/14), in case anyone's interested...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.

dcw@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Douglas C. Wilson) (10/18/88)

I must be getting to be apreferred customer these days. First Symantec sent
me two rebates for LSC. Then I received 2 copies of my Suitcase upgrade.
I called about returning the spare and got through right away. No problem
she said. Our records show "Number purchased 1, Number shipped 3". You should
be receiving a third any day. "We've had so many problems getting it out
the door that I won't ask you to send them back!".

Doug Wilson		    Internet: dcw@rwlvax.chem.unc.edu, 128.109.154.5
Dept. of Chemistry	    BITNET	: WILSON@UNCCHEM,WILSON@UNCVAX
Univ. of North Carolina	    UUCP	: mcnc!ecsvax!dcw
Chapel Hill, NC  27599	    Phone	: 919-962-1582, 1583

--

jcs1@bunny.UUCP (James Sinclair) (10/18/88)

In article <10731@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) writes:
> Recently someone posted a message about Suitcase II being shipped.
> I called Fifth generation and was told that there is some delay.
> If someone has more info please post it. I see it advertised
> in several mail order places.
>
> 		Boris Altman
> 		{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!boris
I received my copy of Suitcase II yesterday afternoon.  They are indeed
shipping at this time.
                Jim Sinclair
                GTE Laboratories
                !harvard!bunny!jcs1

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (10/19/88)

Suitcase II has shipped, I got my upgrade today, Seven weeks after the order.

Rob

P.S. Don't blame me I'm voting for Bill and Opus!!!!!!!!!!

west@bnrmtv.UUCP (andrew west) (10/20/88)

In article <5604@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, dcw@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Douglas C. Wilson) writes:
> I must be getting to be apreferred customer these days. First Symantec sent
> me two rebates for LSC. Then I received 2 copies of my Suitcase upgrade.
> I called about returning the spare and got through right away. No problem
> she said. Our records show "Number purchased 1, Number shipped 3". You should
> be receiving a third any day. "We've had so many problems getting it out
> the door that I won't ask you to send them back!".
>
> Doug Wilson		    Internet: dcw@rwlvax.chem.unc.edu, 128.109.154.5

I also got two copies (both with the same order number and receipt).
I was planning to call First Generation to find out if they wanted
the second copy back (and how *they* wanted to pay for the return
postage) but I guess I'll hold off for a while.  I wonder if they
will change there minds about wanting the copies back if they discover
how many they have mailed out (at two or three per customer, this
mistake could get to be pretty expensive).

						  Andrew West
			   {ames, amdahl, hplabs} ...!bnrmtv!west

jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) (10/20/88)

In article <10731@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, boris@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Boris Altman) writes:
> Recently someone posted a message about Suitcase II being shipped.
> I called Fifth generation and was told that there is some delay.
> If someone has more info please post it. I see it advertised
> in several mail order places.
>
> 		Boris Altman
> 		{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!boris

Boris (and all registered users):

Suitcase II (ver. 2.0) is indeed here!  I received my copy in the mail this
past Saturday (10/15).  It is not the same to use as