[comp.sys.mac] How to hook more than two things to the mac's serial port

czei@accelerator (Michael S. Czeiszperger) (10/19/88)

I've got a MIDI interface, modem, and printer at home, and am
constantly having to switch connections in order to use all
three.  Does anyone know of a commercially available hardware
switch to allow all three to be connected at once?  I would try
building a switch myself, but the individual parts needed are
hard to find and expensive; it would be easier to just by something.

Thanks,

--
Michael S. Czeiszperger   | "milihelen: The amount of beauty required to sail
Systems Analyst           | Snail: 2015 Neil Avenue   (614)       a single ship"

pkahn@meridian.ads.com (Phil Kahn) (10/20/88)

In article <852@accelerator> czei@accelerator (Michael S. Czeiszperger) writes:
>I've got a MIDI interface, modem, and printer at home, and am
>constantly having to switch connections in order to use all
>three.  Does anyone know of a commercially available hardware
>switch to allow all three to be connected at once?  I would try
>building a switch myself, but the individual parts needed are
>hard to find and expensive; it would be easier to just by something.

You may want to check out MacEnhancer by SoftStyle (800) 367-5600. It
plugs into a serial port and it provides access to an Appletalk port
(not a din8), two RS-232C ports, and a serial-to-parallel port (which
they claim is useful for IBM printers). Selection of a given port is
through the chooser.  I assume connecting the RS-232C to a more
standard Mac port requires only a cable (is this true?).

I have no first hand experience with this product; only brochure
information. Please let us know what you think if you buy it.
(I think it is around $170-225).

phil...