[comp.sys.mac] Keeper II

pv9y@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (10/20/88)

Hi,
   I'm interested in using the PD program Keeper II to keep the correct
Finder running on some of our public access hard disks, but there was no
documentation with the copy I got.  Does anyone know how to use this 1.5K
beastie?  Do you have to set it as the Startup application, or does it only
need to run once because it installs something in the System or Finder?
Does it work well?  And finally, does it conflict with anything that people
know of?

                         Thanks a lot!

Adam Engst

pv9y@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/21/88)

In article <17141@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU> pv9y@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>Hi,
>   I'm interested in using the PD program Keeper II to keep the correct
>Finder running on some of our public access hard disks, but there was no

I'm not sure what you mean by "keep the correct Finder running", but if you
mean you want to prevent the system from switching, you can try renaming the
Finder.  (Duplicate the Finder, rename the copy, and trash the original--
try renaming it "Findor" or something.)  We use this scheme in one of our
public clusters--we have a Mac Plus connected to a Laserwriter, and we want
to make sure people use a healthy (4.1/5.5, all laser fonts) system when
they print out.  So we set up a boot disk which loads a Ramdisk into memory,
with a renamed Finder, so when the users come in to print out, the system
doesn't switch to their disk--the Ramdisk remains the current system disk.

>Adam Engst
>
>pv9y@vax5.ccs.cornell.edu
>pv9y@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu

I hope this is helpful.  Or was I totally off base?

Rob Jellinghaus                | "It's all in the reflexes."
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |        -- Kurt Russell in
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |           _Big Trouble in Little China_