[comp.sys.mac] Standing Mac II Base Unit on end: NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (10/19/88)

I wanted to make sure that this message was not missed.
Here we go again...

Subject: Re: Standing Mac II Base Unit on end:  is this safe?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

In article <316@ivucsb.UUCP>, steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) writes:
> In article <4215@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
> >The only thing that I know of that you need to be careful about is
> >that the mac draws cooling air in from the side, so it needs to be
> >clear of the floor.  If your floor is shag carpeted you will want to
> >make sure that the intake is well clear of the rug.
>
> Actually, I believe that it blows air _out_ the left (bottom) side.  I say
> _bottom_ assuming that you are standing it up on the left side, which seems
> to be the preferred side because a) the disk drives are at the top of the
> machine, and b) the reset/int buttons are more accessible.

NO!  NO!  NO!

The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu

"Why?... Because we LIKE you !!"

korn@eris.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (10/19/88)

The Quantum drive, which Apple uses for the internal 80Meg drive available
from them, is rated to operate in any orientation.  That means on it's
front, on it's back, at wierd rakish angles, etc.  Furthermore there are
a number of 3rd party internal drives, most not made by Seagate.  The
CDC Wren series are amoung these.  Many of these drives may not suffer
from the same orientation problems that the Seagate purportedly does.

To say that one must NEVER put a MacII on it's side, however, is wrong.

Peter "my MacII has been on it's side for 8 months and counting" Korn
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (10/19/88)

> In article <316@ivucsb.UUCP>, steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) writes:
>
> NO!  NO!  NO!
>
> The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
> as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
> are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
> Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
> on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
> one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

   Not true if you've got a Rodime.  A friend has a Mac II and an internal
Rodime 140, and he's got his Mac II Kickstanded (Kensington), and he's very
happy with it.  (And I'm very jealous because I've only got a measly 512K
Enhanced...)

Dean Yu                            |  E-mail:    mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan             |  Real-mail: Dean Yu
Computer Aided Engineering Network |             2413 Kelsey House
===================================|             600 E Madison
"These are MY opinions." (My       |             Ann Arbor, MI 48109
 employer doesn't want them.       |==========================================
 Actually, they don't really care  |
 what I think.  But President      |   This space intentionally left blank.
 Duderstadt does...)               |

carl@Apple.COM (Carl C. Hewitt) (10/20/88)

In article <7043@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>I wanted to make sure that this message was not missed.
>Here we go again...
>
>Subject: Re: Standing Mac II Base Unit on end:  is this safe?
>	 Do NOT stand Mac II on its end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>	 Do NOT stand Mac II on its end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
>as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
>are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
>Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
>on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
>one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

Alex is right in that the drives were not intended to be put on their
side, and Apple also recommends against doing this.

However.....

I have had mine on stands made by Kensington Microware Ltd. which keep the
computer on end with enough room for the power supply to be cooled, and
have never had any problems whatsoever.

							-- Carl

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (10/21/88)

From article <3f267750.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu>, by mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu):
It's true, I'm his friend and I am very with my Mac II on end.
I was concerned about the orientation (having read the seagate manuals), so
I asked someone from Rodime.  He said any orientation in 3-dimensional space
was OK.  4-dimensional space I'd have to call about.  And now, Apple has
switched from Quantums to Rodimes (so has Jasmine).  So everything is
peachy-keen.
Steve Bollinger
University of Michigan
billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (10/21/88)

I have been reading all the comments about the mounting orientation. I called
a good friend who happens to be the VP of Eng at Quantum and asked him what
they think about vertical mounting. His response is that the unit is
very tolerant to mounting in any orientation. Their is an increased risk of
a fail to write error occuring if you shock the unit in the x-y plane due to
the servo design. Quantum has added a feature that no other drive maker has
called a bump detect circut that will make sure that the info is not written
to the wrong track due to a bump in this axixs. he also says that the drive is
very tollerant of jolts in the axis of the spindle and that a head crash is
very unlikely. The airbearing is extreamly rigid as a design. The error will
be the fail to write variety if anything happens. After all the techi chatter
I asked him what they do, he said, we mount most of them vertically. This info
is valid for only Quantum drives, I would expect that it does hold for others
unless the manufacturer specifically excludes it as does Seagate.
Bob Murrow
laserman@cup.portal.com

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (10/22/88)

Bob Murrow stated that Quantum mounts most of their drives vertically.
But does that mean most of their drives are mounted on their face or
tail? I would think that most of their drives would be mounted vertically
on one edge or the other. But, if Quantum drives have an aerospace
application, then obviously they have to be tolerant in any direction.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu
"Why?...Because we LIKE you!!!"

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (10/23/88)

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu quoted me on the comment I made on Quantum saying most
of their drives were side mounted. What I ment by this was...of the drives
they use in their own plant how are they mounted. The reply was vertically,
due to the use of a stand of some sort used on MacII's and a similar device
used on IBMpc's. Quantum makes the HardCard which is an internally mounted
hard drive for MSDOS equipement. I should calify that the engineering manager
did say that the prefered orientation is horizonal but...they and everyone
elese uses it vertically and the design has now real reason built in that
would demand horizonal mounting. The reason horizonal is prefered is that
almost all of the testing is done in that orientation.
Bob Murrow
Laserman@cup.portal.com

fry@brauer.harvard.edu (David Fry) (10/24/88)

Partially inspired by this discussion, I turned my Mac II with
original Apple 40 meg internal drive (Quantum system) on its
side.  Everything went well at first, but the second time I
booted the computer, I got a "Finder is damaged" message and
had to use the programmer's switch to reboot.  I started it
from a floppy, and everything acted normal (except it
took a while to rebuild the desktop) and has continued to be
normal since then.  I don't have any trouble booting from the
HD.

Any clues what might have caused this and is this a sign of
bad things to come?

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138