[comp.sys.mac] Talking Moose

phcalamai@water.UUCP (Paul H. Calamai) (11/29/86)

Could some kind soul please email me
Talking Moose and the associated resources
in binhex or packit'd format. Thanks

Paul Calamai

CSNET: phcalamai%water%waterloo.csnet
UUCP:  ... decvax!watmath!phcalamai
ARPA:  calamai@anl-mcs  or  na.calamai@su-score

bruceh@mntgfx.mentor.com (Bruce Holm) (08/23/88)

I just recently got a copy of the Talking Moose DA.  After I had
installed it into the System's Apple menu and also placed the files
MacinTalk and Moose Phrases into the System Folder, I tried to
activate the DA from the Apple menu.  It painted the control box
and the moose's head.  Then the Mac crashed, displaying a flashing
dialog window with an ID crash code=2.

I have seen this type of behaviour on older s/w programs that were
invented prior to the new 128k ROMs.  The problem was usually
exhibited on games that used an older memory map that can't be
used under the new ROMS (screen location conflicts with new mapping).

Anyone got any clues?  Is there a new version of Talking Moose
that does work on the new ROMs?  Is there a patched version of this
DA?

I assume this to be the problem since I have tried it on both my
Mac (an old 128 Mac upgraded to 2M Ram, new ROMs, and 800k DD) and
an SE at work.  Both had the same results.  I was not able to get
far enough into the DA activation to see the version number of the
Talking Moose.

Thanks for your suggestions...
--Bruce

Bruce Holm                 |      USENET: bruceh@pdx.MENTOR.COM
Mentor Graphics Corp.      |        UUCP: ...!mntgfx!bruceh
(503) 626-7000             |       GENIE: BHOLM

koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) (10/10/88)

Does anyone have a version of that good 'ol classic, "Talking Moose" that works
on system 6.0 or greater? Mine creates a bomb (ID = 02, I think) whenever I
try to start it. I have system 6.0 and Finder 6.1.

Thanks
	Brad Koehn

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (10/12/88)

In article <1819@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) writes:
>Does anyone have a version of that good 'ol classic, "Talking Moose" that works
>on system 6.0 or greater? Mine creates a bomb (ID = 02, I think) whenever I
>try to start it. I have system 6.0 and Finder 6.1.

Was it System 6.0 that caused problems with Talking Moose, or something
else?  The first time I tried the Moose on my Mac II after getting it
last December (the Mac II, not the Moose), it tried valiantly to say
something, then crashed the system.  That was probably under update
version 5, if not earlier.  It CERTAINLY wasn't 6.0.  What machine are
you running on, Brad?  Anyone know what exactly the problem is?

If anyone DOES have a newer version, please send it to me, too!

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/12/88)

In article <6573@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>In article <1819@puff.cs.wisc.edu> koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) writes:
>>Does anyone have a version of that good 'ol classic, "Talking Moose" that works
>>on system 6.0 or greater? Mine creates a bomb (ID = 02, I think) whenever I
>>try to start it. I have system 6.0 and Finder 6.1.
>
>If anyone DOES have a newer version, please send it to me, too!

And me!  And me!  I want it bad!

>Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
>NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET
>Cornell University      H: (607) 257-7587 ********
>Ithaca, NY 14853        W: (607) 255-1566 ******* Ego ipse custodies custudio

Rob Jellinghaus                | "SINGAPORE?!?  You're supposed to be a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  COWBOY!  What kind of cowboy song is
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  THAT??!!  Singapore, I oughta--"
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |      -- Eddie Foy, _The Cowboy Wally Story_

koehn@gumby.cs.wisc.edu (Brad Koehn) (10/17/88)

Sorry for not being very specific in my other article. I have a Mac Plus, with
a PL20 Turbo Hard Drive. I know what you're thinking: but it's not the hard
drive, or any of it's files, because the Moose didn't work before I had the
hard disk, and I tried it on a copy of my original Sysytem Tools disk.

I also know that it's not my copy of the Moose, because it works on a friend's
SE (also with no hard drive).

When I select it from the Apple Menu, The Moose appears on the screen, along
with it's window, and before it can say a word, it hangs with Sysytem Error
ID=2.

The interesting thing is that when I run Multifinder, it doesn't hang, it just
disables the mouse (e.g. the cursor won't move), and it doesn't re-update the
screen.

Hopefully this will help some more.

Brad Koehn
U of WI

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) (10/24/88)

I think Moose was interesting enough that if anyone finds a new version
somewhere that works with 6.0.x, it should be posted to comp.binaries.mac.
Does anyone still have the old docs that listed the original author?  I
remember seeing them about two years ago, but haven't seen them since.
I think it said something like he would make the source available, but
didn't want to do anything further with it.  Can someone check up on this?

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke
----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/24/88)

In article <351@ivucsb.UUCP> steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) writes:
>I think Moose was interesting enough that if anyone finds a new version
>somewhere that works with 6.0.x, it should be posted to comp.binaries.mac.
>Does anyone still have the old docs that listed the original author?  I
>remember seeing them about two years ago, but haven't seen them since.
>I think it said something like he would make the source available, but
>didn't want to do anything further with it.  Can someone check up on this?

	We recenly recieved a letter (and disk) here at the office from the author
of Talking Moose.  He has a new rewritten version which works through an INIT
cdev mechinism (works on the II & system 6.0.x of course) and has some nice
new features as well.
	HOWEVER, he is trying to find a purchaser for the product as he does not
have the time to support the product.  We will NOT be the new publishers, nor
do I know who it will be.  I just wanted to pass on this info to let people
know the status.

/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */