[comp.sys.mac] Arabic for the Macintosh

pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) (10/24/88)

I am looking into methods of typing documents that require both Arabic
and English. Is Apple's Arabic version of the system software
available in the US, or are dedicated programs recommended?

Thanks for your help,

+ Peter Wisnovsky    pswisnov@phoenix.princeton.edu     BitNet: pswisnov@pucc +
  "His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly
   through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of
   their last end, upon all the living and the dead." -Joyce

--

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/24/88)

In article <4089@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
>I am looking into methods of typing documents that require both Arabic
>and English. Is Apple's Arabic version of the system software
>available in the US, or are dedicated programs recommended?

	You have asked two different questions here which are very unrelated.

1) You can purchase the Arabic System Software from APDA (Apple Programmers &
Developers Association) for about $25, I think.

2) Using the Arabic (or any foreign OS) is another story.  there is currently
only ONE Script Manager compatable word processor available in the states,
there is ONE DTP package that is SM compat, etc.  You can 'get by' with some
of the other packages on the market, but WATCH OUT - you will find lots of
problems along the way...However once you get going, doing Arabic work on the
Mac is a nice way to go.  I frequently to both Arabic, Hebrew & English DTP on
the Mac using the respective system.

/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */