[comp.sys.mac] Standing Mac II Base Unit on end: is this safe?

yvo@cs.utexas.edu (Yvonne van Olphen) (10/01/88)

To conserve space, I would like to stand my Mac II base unit
upright on one end.  I have seen pictures of this in magazines,
but someone told me this is not safe.  As long as I get a stand
to vent it, is it OK?  It has the Apple 20MB internal har disk.

	-Yvonne
--
	|   |	Yvonne Van Olphen
       _|___|_ 	University of Texas at Austin CS Dept.
        \_|_/	Austin, TX 78712
	  |	yvo@cs.utexas.edu (CSNet)

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (10/01/88)

I have used the kensington stand since I got my II with no problems

rob

disclaimer etc etc.....

shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) (10/02/88)

In article <3434@cs.utexas.edu> yvo@cs.utexas.edu (Yvonne van Olphen) writes:

>To conserve space, I would like to stand my Mac II base unit
>upright on one end.  I have seen pictures of this in magazines,
>but someone told me this is not safe.  As long as I get a stand
>to vent it, is it OK?  It has the Apple 20MB internal har disk.

It should be okay. Just don't move it while the disk is running.
I have ahd mine mounted on its side standing on a pair of blocks (why
pay $65 for a stand when I can stick it on blocks between the side of
my desk and the wall?).

The only thing that I know of that you need to be careful about is
that the mac draws cooling air in from the side, so it needs to be
clear of the floor.  If your floor is shag carpeted you will want to
make sure that the intake is well clear of the rug.

Jon

ech@poseidon.UUCP (Edward C Horvath) (10/04/88)

From article <4215@polya.Stanford.EDU>, by shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro):
> In article <3434@cs.utexas.edu> yvo@cs.utexas.edu (Yvonne van Olphen) writes:
>>To conserve space, I would like to stand my Mac II base unit
>>upright on one end...

> It should be okay. Just don't move it while the disk is running.
> I have ahd mine mounted on its side standing on a pair of blocks...

I used one of those plastic milk-carton crates: just cut a couple of slots
halfway down the slides -- leave 4" or so uncut -- and drop in the Mac II
fan-side-down.  If your milkman won't part with one, many discount
department stores have 'em in various sizes.  Frees up a lot of desk, and
the exhaust keeps my feet warm on cold winter nights...

=Ned Horvath=

steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) (10/05/88)

In article <4215@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>The only thing that I know of that you need to be careful about is
>that the mac draws cooling air in from the side, so it needs to be
>clear of the floor.  If your floor is shag carpeted you will want to
>make sure that the intake is well clear of the rug.

Actually, I believe that it blows air _out_ the left (bottom) side.  I say
_bottom_ assuming that you are standing it up on the left side, which seems
to be the preferred side because a) the disk drives are at the top of the
machine, and b) the reset/int buttons are more accessible.

----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: steve@ivucsb.UUCP; lemke@apple.COM   AppleLink:  LEMKE
----- uucp:     pyramid!comdesign!ivucsb!steve       CompuServe: 73627,570
----- alt.uucp: {decwrl!}sun!apple!lemke             GEnie:      S.Lemke
----- Quote:    "What'd I go to college for?"   "You had fun, didn't you?"

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (10/07/88)

I have heard that hard disks like to be used in the same orientation (horiz vs.
vertical) that they were formatted in.  It makes sense to me, so I reformatted
my hard disk after turning my Mac II on it's (Kensington Stand) side about
4 months ago.

I've had no problems.

-Eric

          Lexington Software Design:  Tomorrow's Software Yesterday

      Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson
         (Name)                (Arpanet)                 (Usenet)

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (10/19/88)

In article <316@ivucsb.UUCP>, steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) writes:
> In article <4215@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
> >The only thing that I know of that you need to be careful about is
> >that the mac draws cooling air in from the side, so it needs to be
> >clear of the floor.  If your floor is shag carpeted you will want to
> >make sure that the intake is well clear of the rug.
>
> Actually, I believe that it blows air _out_ the left (bottom) side.  I say
> _bottom_ assuming that you are standing it up on the left side, which seems
> to be the preferred side because a) the disk drives are at the top of the
> machine, and b) the reset/int buttons are more accessible.

NO!  NO!  NO!

The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft

as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,

are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a

Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk

on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing

one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu

"Why? Because we LIKE you !!"

aho@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Ho) (10/19/88)

In article <7041@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>In article <316@ivucsb.UUCP>, steve@ivucsb.UUCP (Steve Lemke <steve>) writes:
>> In article <4215@polya.Stanford.EDU> shap@polya.Stanford.EDU (Jonathan S. Shapiro) writes:
>> >The only thing that I know of that you need to be careful about is
>> >that the mac draws cooling air in from the side, so it needs to be
>> >clear of the floor.  If your floor is shag carpeted you will want to
>> >make sure that the intake is well clear of the rug.
>>
>> Actually, I believe that it blows air _out_ the left (bottom) side.  I say
>> _bottom_ assuming that you are standing it up on the left side, which seems
>> to be the preferred side because a) the disk drives are at the top of the
>> machine, and b) the reset/int buttons are more accessible.
>
>NO!  NO!  NO!
>The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
>as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
>are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
>Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
>on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
>one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.
>nghiem@emx.utexas.edu

(1) the mac ii blows air out of the left side. i just put a piece of
    paper on the side of the mac next to me and tried it.
(2) yes, if you are going to put a mac ii on it's side, by all means
    raise it above the floor for ventilation.
(3) however, if you are going to put the mac on the floor, put
    the RIGHT side down (near the floor!)
(4) the power supply will be above the board and hot air (which rises, of
    course) will be pulled up by the fan and out of the machine.
(5) yes, the interrupt and reset buttons and the disk drive are a pain
    to have to reach when the mac is in this position.
(6) the 40 meg hard disk in this mac is made by quantum, not seagate.
    this mac has been on it's side for many months, and there hasn't
    been a single problem.

    does anyone have comments or corrections? does anyone else use a
    mac on it's side?

alex

Alex Ho
University of California, Berkeley       aho@cory.berkeley.edu
                                         ...ucbvax!cory!aho

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/19/88)

In article <7041@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:

>NO!  NO!  NO!

>The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
>as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
>are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
>on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
>one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

Thank goodness Apple doesn't use Seagate drives in the Mac.  My unit has been
running vertically for some time now.  Besides, the warranty was only 90 days,
and that is long gone :-)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu (John Francis Mansfield) (10/20/88)

In article <7041@ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:

>NO!  NO!  NO!
>
>The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
>
>as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
>
>are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
>
>Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
>
>on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
>
>one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

I have had a Kensington stand on my Mac II for nearly a year now.
It contains an Apple 80 Meg drive which is a apparently a Quantum
and it has been functioning well.  I did need monitor and keyboard
extension cables though. Mind, having said this it means that my drive
is due to belly-up!!

John Mansfield, North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory,
2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143. Ph: (313)-936-3352.
__________
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (10/21/88)

>NO!  NO!  NO!
>The internal Hard Drive in a Mac II is mounted side to side, NOT fore and aft
>as in a PC. Hard Drives, like the Seagate series, and probably others,
>are designed the be mounted flat, or on one edge or the other. In a
>Mac II, turning the system unit on either side would stand the Hard Disk
>on its face or on its rear. Seagate specifically says that standing
>one of their units on its face or its rear will VOID the warranty.

I have a CDC Wren III drive in my mac and I have been assured by the
company I purchased it from (NuData) that any orientation is safe for
that drive. I must agree with them since my drive has been operating
perfectly for 14 months in the vertical position! As for voiding the
warranty, if your drive is more than 90 days old you probably don's have
a warranty anymore.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |              E-MAIL:             |
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |              -------             |
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |csnet:       stevens@boulder.csnet|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|

========
| Curt |
========

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (10/25/88)

 I know of several installations using the Kensignton stand for months
 with NO problems with the Mac II or the HD. If ANYONE has ever had a
 problem with a Mac II or HD that can be contributed to the System standing
 on End, I and others would love to hear about it, I'm sure...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (10/25/88)

Other than being careful not to block the air vents, you only have
one worry -- your internal har disk drive.  Apparently Seagate drives
can not be stood on the end (this gleened from other postings).  On
the other hand, I called Jasmine and CMS, and they said there was no problem
at all.  Jasmine recommended that you format your HD in the orienatation
that you plan to use it.

I've used a kensington stand since I got my mac II (last May) and have
had no problems.  Why don't you try one of these?

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{uflorida, codas}!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK