[comp.sys.mac] WYSIWYG

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (10/19/88)

I've had some bad experiences with PageMaker not printing
what it shows on the screen. Two examples: (1) I tried to
draw jagged lines with bullets at the nodes. The bullets
were significantly moved in the printout and nowhere near
the lines. (2) I moved a flow chart from MacFlow into PageMaker
to scale down its size and one corner of a box refused to
print. When I phoned Aldus about this, they admitted it was
a problem and claimed it was not possible to fix. My fix
in the second case was to copy the document into MacDraw, from
which everything printed fine.

This raises a few questions. First, is Aldus right? Is it
inherently impossible to have a WYSIWYG program on the Mac
as the Next reportedly has? Could someone implement a
PostScript version of PageMaker? Second, having had the
painful experience of moving a page through three of more
kinds of software to get everything I wanted into it, it
seems there would be a good market for an integrated piece
of software which would be both convenient to use and offer
combined features. If something like that exists, I'd like to
know. If not, maybe someone would like to make their fortune
by writing it.

Steve Goldfield

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (10/26/88)

In article <15691@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:

>...  is Aldus right? Is it
>inherently impossible to have a WYSIWYG program on the Mac
>as the Next reportedly has?

It's easy to answer this one: just try drawing and printing the same thing
with some other application such as MacDraw, MacDraw II, etc.  I think
you'll find that there's nothing inherently impossible about WYSIWYG, with
one important caveat:  since the Mac screen is nominally 72 dots/inch and
the LaserWriter is 300 dots/inch, the positions of objects and parts of
objects are subject to roundoff errors.  But these errors should be small.

Another kind of error can come up when you mix text elements with graphics
and want everything to fit together in an exact way.  Here the problem is
that the text on the screen is from a bitmap font at a certain size, while
the printed text is either from a bitmap font of a different size, or from
an outline (PostScript) font that the screen font was trying to approximate.
All the fonts are supposed to scale exactly but they often don't really.  As
a result the positions of characters in the printed copy can be off from what
you saw on the screen.  I imagine that this problem is much easier on the
NeXT system, since it uses PostScript at both ends of the process.

David Casseres

khb%chiba@Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - Sun Tactical Engineering) (10/26/88)

In article <141@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <15691@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>
>>...  is Aldus right? Is it
>>inherently impossible to have a WYSIWYG program on the Mac
>>as the Next reportedly has?
>
> deleted; points out 72dpi <> 300dpi

>Another kind of error can come up when you mix text elements with graphics
>and want everything to fit together in an exact way.  Here the problem is
>that the text on the screen is from a bitmap font at a certain size, while
>the printed text is either from a bitmap font of a different size, or from
>an outline (PostScript) font that the screen font was trying to approximate.
>All the fonts are supposed to scale exactly but they often don't really.  As
>a result the positions of characters in the printed copy can be off from what
>you saw on the screen.  I imagine that this problem is much easier on the
>NeXT system, since it uses PostScript at both ends of the process.

MacII AU/X users can use NeWS. Display postscript predates Mr. Jobs
and his merrie band. NeWS is a windowing system created by my
employer, but licensed to others.

NeWS is a windowing system, which employes postscript on the screen.
Now if Mr. Jobs will license his objective C libraries we can see
whose box is best :>

Keith H. Bierman
It's Not My Fault ---- I Voted for Bill & Opus