[comp.sys.mac] Budget disks

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (10/25/88)

In article <13515@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
> Time to stock up on Kao disks, I suppose...

(Much deleted from the above.)

With the announcements of duties coming on 3.5" disks, I guess many of us we
be pushed into making some extra disk purchases in the near future that may
have otherwise been put off for a while.  E.g., I think that I will be
ordering around 80 disks soon.  Perhaps a few comments on the quality of the
less expensive brands would now be in order...

I have mainly used Sony disks in the past, and have been quite satisfied with
them.  However, on a fair-sized order, switching to a less expensive brand
would save more than a few dollars.

So, how about Kao disks, for a start?  Any other budget brands worthwhile?
Please post your experiences.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (10/25/88)

In article <1134@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
>With the announcements of duties coming on 3.5" disks, I guess many of us we
>be pushed into making some extra disk purchases in the near future that may
>have otherwise been put off for a while.  E.g., I think that I will be
>ordering around 80 disks soon.  Perhaps a few comments on the quality of the
>less expensive brands would now be in order...

>I have mainly used Sony disks in the past, and have been quite satisfied with
>them.  However, on a fair-sized order, switching to a less expensive brand
>would save more than a few dollars.

>So, how about Kao disks, for a start?  Any other budget brands worthwhile?
>Please post your experiences.

>Jim

I have used both Sony disks, unlabelled bulk and Kao disks.

The bulk disks were sh*t.  Both Sony and Kao were very reliably.  I
have absolutely no complaints with Kao disks.  I recently bought *500*
Kao disks and have yet to have one fail me yet.

Steve

Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (201)932-2443   Home: (201)246-3927
UUCP:  rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@aramis.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/26/88)

In article <Oct.24.22.31.32.1988.21830@porthos.rutgers.edu> pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>In article <1134@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
>>With the announcements of duties coming on 3.5" disks, I guess many of us we
>>be pushed into making some extra disk purchases in the near future that may
>>have otherwise been put off for a while.  E.g., I think that I will be
>>ordering around 80 disks soon.  Perhaps a few comments on the quality of the
>>less expensive brands would now be in order...

e-mail replies to the effect that buying unlabeled bulk diskettes is a very
bad idea. Even if they get past the initialization, they still fail occasionally
on a restore.  The few pennies saved isn't worth the time and effort to recreateyour files if you need to restore.

One respondent had better luck with Kao diskettes than with Sony. I've had a
few Sony's fail to initialize and just recently bought 100 Kao diskettes. Of
the 50 or so I've used, none failed to initialize.

Shirley Kehr