[comp.sys.mac] Why this strange error???

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (10/26/88)

I posted a note to this conf a couple of weeks back regarding a strange
error that I saw when QUITing out of some applications;

     Not enough room on the disk to save the contents of the clipboard.

Or something very similar to that.  This was happening on a 5 meg Mac II (color)
, 300 meg internal hard drive (w/about 130 meg of unfragmented free space),
running System 6.0.2 (also seen on 6.0 and 6.0.1).  I did not mention that
I do _not_ use MultiFinder, i.e. using only the Finder.

I received two E-mail responses (thank you guys very much) which both suggested
that the problem may occur if I ran out of ram.  This could most likely happen
(according to the responses) when under MF.  (I failed to mention in the
original posting that I use Finder only.)

Anyway, still not sure why the error is occurring.  I guess it _could_ be
that the Mac is running short on memory, but.....

Thanks again, guys.

Ray Terry

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/27/88)

In article <6150029@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

>I posted a note to this conf a couple of weeks back regarding a strange
>error that I saw when QUITing out of some applications;
>
>     Not enough room on the disk to save the contents of the clipboard.
>
>Or something very similar to that. This was happening on a 5 meg Mac II (color)
>, 300 meg internal hard drive (w/about 130 meg of unfragmented free space),
   ^^^                                  ^^^

 If you've got 170 megabytes of Macintosh files on a single hard drive,
it sounds suspiciously like you may be running up against the "outer
limits" of the Resource Manager's abilities. Currently, according to
TN# 210, the maximum number of resources you can have in the Desktop
file is 2727. If that 170 meg worth of files includes a lot of different
applications (as opposed to several multi-meg size files), you might be
seeing a lot of "not enough room"-type messages when the system goes to
update the various files it maintains.

 It's just a guess, but partitioning the drive might help.

--
==========      .......     ===========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {spsd, zardoz, felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (10/27/88)

In article <6150029@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:

>I posted a note to this conf a couple of weeks back regarding a strange
>error that I saw when QUITing out of some applications;
>
>     Not enough room on the disk to save the contents of the clipboard.
>
> [... details omitted]
>
>I received two E-mail responses (thank you guys very much) which both suggested
>that the problem may occur if I ran out of ram.  This could most likely happen
>(according to the responses) when under MF.  (I failed to mention in the
>original posting that I use Finder only.)

So much for that diagnosis... :-)

However, the problem just might be related, anyway. I have noticed an occasional
glitch which looks like it might come from the same part of the Twilight Zone.

Just the other day, I booted my 5 MB Mac II (System 6.0.2), and immediately
went into the control panel DA. It said that it couldn't get enough memory.
When I tried again, it worked. Similar things occasionally occur when I try
to launch applications. The first launch fails ("Not enough application
memory") and the second attempt succeeds. This has happened to me more than
once, but is both rare and un-repeatable.  (BTW: I use MultiFinder)

I suspect a subtle bug in the memory manager. There is no other excuse for
failing to launch any application when there are several megabytes of
contiguous RAM available. (Except of course, for applications provided by
a certain major software house, but that's another story.)

I hope this adds another piece to the puzzle.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM