[comp.sys.mac] Da to launch applications

rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (10/26/88)

 Can anyone tell me if there is a PD (or otherwise) DA which will
 launch regular applications (ie, like MacWrite).  I'd like to see
 one which would actually put the name of the Appl in the DA menu as
 if it were a DA, but when it was selected, the DA box would close
 and bypass the finder on the way to the appl.  I know that there are
 fkeys that will do this, but when using a terminal program, fkeys
 give problems with conflicts with predefined terminal keys.  Ideally
 you could just scroll down the DA menu and launch the program you
 want (ie, often used pgms), without having to go to the select box
 to choose the appl.  Hope this is clear what I'm looking for--

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona   Northern Arizona University
  NAU Box 15600                    *usual disclaimers*
  Flagstaff, Az.                   ...arizona!naucse!rwi
  86011                            602-523-2052

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (10/26/88)

In article <983@naucse.UUCP> rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a PD (or otherwise) DA which will
> launch regular applications (ie, like MacWrite).  I'd like to see
> one which would actually put the name of the Appl in the DA menu as
> if it were a DA, but when it was selected, the DA box would close
> and bypass the finder on the way to the appl.

Well, Disktop by CE software is a finder replacement-DA that lets you put
a list of applications in its menu.  When combined with HierDA, Disktop
can be used to launch APPLs from the apple menu.

Also, OnCUE by IMI software is an INIT that does a similar thing.  It puts
a SICN at the top-right hand corner of the screen in the menubar.  Clicking
on this SICN gives you a list of Applications resembling the DA list, and you
can add or take away applications at any time.

My preference for an application launcher is OnCUE, because it also lets
you attach DOCUMENTS to the applications in its list.  So you can select
Word or MacWrite, for instance, and then get a list of documents (which you
specify), from which you select what to open.

I have no connection with the manufacturers of the above products.

   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
  Hanover, NH 03755

G.GBERT@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU (Gregory Hulbert) (10/27/88)

It should be noted that the DiskTop DA also lets you add documents
to the DisTop menu bar for launching by the appropriate application.

Greg Hulbert
g.gbert@lear.stanford.edu
-------

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/28/88)

In article <10598@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) writes:
>In article <983@naucse.UUCP> rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is a PD (or otherwise) DA which will
>> launch regular applications (ie, like MacWrite).  I'd like to see
>
>Well, Disktop by CE software is a finder replacement-DA that lets you put
>Also, OnCUE by IMI software is an INIT that does a similar thing.  It puts
>My preference for an application launcher is OnCUE, because it also lets
>you attach DOCUMENTS to the applications in its list.  So you can select
>Word or MacWrite, for instance, and then get a list of documents (which you
>specify), from which you select what to open.

The current commercial version of DiskTop lets you put both documents
and applications in its menu.  You can even be in an application and
select one of its documents and it will open correctly.  Also anything
you don't put in the main DiskTop menu you can still open by
double-clicking once you have found it using DiskTop.

For applications that confuse DiskTop's searching for the `Open...'
menu choice there is a way to add more menu choices that it will also
try.

I also use it with HierDA and love the combination.

My only gripe is I had hoped I could use DiskTop as a Finder
replacement under MultiFinder (I really do like the Finder, I just
wish I had RAM for it).  I haven't been able to make that work.
DiskTop refuses to launch things once I blow away the Finder.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent