[comp.sys.mac] MacEnvy 1.0d8 cdev

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/25/88)

 I noticed MacEnvy had been posted to comp.binaries.mac, so I'll
answer a question before it gets asked:

 The system version displayed will only be two digits separated by
a decimal point, regardless of the actual System version. For
example, it displays "System: 6.0" even though I'm running 6.0.2.
This is due to SysEnvirons' inability to return more than two bytes
in the systemVersion field of the SysEnvRec. Translated, that means
"it's not my fault, it's not my fault!"

 I will fix this problem and submit a cleaned-up version soon. Not
that it's the most useful cdev ever written, of course, but it
should be good at what it does! :-)

--
==========      .......     ===========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {spsd, zardoz, felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (10/26/88)

In article <13797@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
> The system version displayed will only be two digits separated by
>a decimal point, regardless of the actual System version. For
>example, it displays "System: 6.0" even though I'm running 6.0.2.
>This is due to SysEnvirons' inability to return more than two bytes
>in the systemVersion field of the SysEnvRec. Translated, that means
>"it's not my fault, it's not my fault!"
	Actually the format of the system version field is
		0xMMmf
	where MM is the major release, m is the minor release
and f is the "fix" level  Thus for 6.0.2 it contains 0x0602.

	Note that the terms all mine, but that does give you
the encoding format.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/26/88)

Two other things I've seen with this on my Mac+ --

Unknown keyboard type: I have seen other programs deduce that I am
using an old style keyboard with a keypad, so I believe the
information ought to be deducible somehow;

AppleTalk is not loaded: this while I am doing LaserWriting (I'm
looking at a screen dump of MacEnvy that I printed on the LW); can it
do that if AppleTalk is not loaded, or does this comment mean
something else?

[Sorry for posting, I have had singular ill success mailing to Mr.
McLeod's host.]

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/27/88)

In article <19487@apple.Apple.COM> dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <13797@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>>This is due to SysEnvirons' inability to return more than two bytes
>>in the systemVersion field of the SysEnvRec. Translated, that means
>>"it's not my fault, it's not my fault!"
>	Actually the format of the system version field is
>		0xMMmf
>	where MM is the major release, m is the minor release
>and f is the "fix" level  Thus for 6.0.2 it contains 0x0602.

 OK, a revised translation: "it's *probably* not my fault," etc. :-)
Thanks for the info, David... by the way, am I right in assuming
desk accessories (and therefore, the Control Panel and cdevs) are
not supported under A/UX? I was considering adding a check for A/UX
as the current file system... :-)

--
==========      .......     ===========================================

In article <31402@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>Two other things I've seen with this on my Mac+ --
>
>Unknown keyboard type: I have seen other programs deduce that I am
>using an old style keyboard with a keypad, so I believe the
>information ought to be deducible somehow;

 Correct. I have a 3rd party keypad attached to my Mac, and experienced
the same problem. This is now "fixed".

>AppleTalk is not loaded: this while I am doing LaserWriting (I'm
>looking at a screen dump of MacEnvy that I printed on the LW); can it
>do that if AppleTalk is not loaded, or does this comment mean
>something else?

 That "shouldn't happen," of course. I'll check it out; I've never seen
this one, and I have tested it w/various versions of LW drivers, with
AppleTalk turned "on" from the Chooser DA. The message "AppleTalk is
not loaded" means exactly that; what you should see there is the
version number of the currently-loaded AppleTalk driver.

 MacEnvy 1.0d8 has a "d" in its name for a reason! Eventually, of course,
it will be the "Mac ID" program of choice [grin] as that is obviously an
important niche waiting to be filled in the Mac software universe. :-)

--
==========      .......     ===========================================

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (10/28/88)

In article <13990@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
> OK, a revised translation: "it's *probably* not my fault," etc. :-)
>Thanks for the info, David... by the way, am I right in assuming
>desk accessories (and therefore, the Control Panel and cdevs) are
>not supported under A/UX? I was considering adding a check for A/UX
>as the current file system... :-)
	Desk Accessories are not cuttrently supported under A/UX.
In order to check for A/UX check bit 9 of HWCfgFlags (0xb22).  If
it's set A/UX is running, otherwise it ain't.  Of course all this
is covered in gory detail in the A/UX Toolbox manual...