[comp.sys.mac] Can I network my MAC II to my IBM AT?

0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) (10/23/88)

	I want to find a way to send files from a mac II to an IBM AT and
visa-versa.  Text files, that is.  Just what sort of networking have people
been doing between these machines, and what are you using?  Inquiring minds
would like to know.

Russell Rodriguez
Disclaimer:   The opinions of Russ Rodriguez are his own and couldn't possibly
	    reflect those of his employer: Teknowledge, Inc., of Palo Alto, CA
internet:  0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!0rrodrig%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (10/25/88)

0rrodrig@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Russ Rodriguez) writes:

>	I want to find a way to send files from a mac II to an IBM AT and
>visa-versa.  Text files, that is.  Just what sort of networking have people
>been doing between these machines, and what are you using?  Inquiring minds
>would like to know.
>
>Russell Rodriguez
	Novell is supposed to start shipping in December version 2.15 of
its Netware Adanced, and SFT Netware which will support a new product
called Netware for the Macintosh.  Netware for the macintosh allows macs
who think they are connected to an appleshare network to actually be
connected to a AT based network.  The AT server acts as the appleshare
server, storing all the mac files in mac format.  The PC based workstations
see the macs as more PCs, and the macs see the PCs as macs.  I have seen a
beta-version, and IT WORKS!

		David Deitch, Computer Connection
		dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu
		Fido 1:100/22

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (10/27/88)

In article <318@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu (David Deitch)` writes:

>	I want to find a way to send files from a mac II to an IBM AT and
>visa-versa.  Text files, that is.  Just what sort of networking have people
>been doing between these machines, and what are you using?  Inquiring minds
>would like to know.

If it's one Mac to one AT -- which happens to be my set-up -- you should
consider MacLink Plus by DataViz.  It transfers and *converts* (Word, Lotus,
text, binary, etc.) files very quickly via a serial cable (provided).  It
can also provide conversion between different formats on the same
machine.  It's not a network but it meets my needs and I'm very satisfied
with it.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) (10/28/88)

|In article <4766@mnetor.UUCP>, frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
|> In article <318@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec3.wustl.edu (David Deitch)` writes:| >
|> >	I want to find a way to send files from a mac II to an IBM AT and
|> >visa-versa.  Text files, that is.  Just what sort of networking have people
|> >been doing between these machines, and what are you using?  Inquiring minds
|> >would like to know.
|>
|> If it's one Mac to one AT -- which happens to be my set-up -- you should
|> consider MacLink Plus by DataViz.  It transfers and *converts* (Word, Lotus,
|> text, binary, etc.) files very quickly via a serial cable (provided).  It
|> can also provide conversion between different formats on the same
|> machine.  It's not a network but it meets my needs and I'm very satisfied
|> with it.

|> Frank Kolnick,
|> consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X
|> UUCP: {allegra, linus}!utzoo!mnetor!frank

A cheaper way is to get Kermit for the Mac and Kermit for
the IBM from cu20b.columbia.edu, using the FTP anonymous login, or
from your local BBS. With Kermit, either machine can be run as
a server and the remote machine can get files from the server fairly easily.
You would only need to purchase a null modem cable for connecting the IBM
to the Mac.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu.