[comp.sys.mac] vt100 emulator

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/26/88)

gregl@ozvax.GWD.TEK.COM(Greg Lacefield) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <914@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> wang@Data-IO.COM (Frank Wang) writes:
>>
>>I am new to this mac world.  I downloaded the VT100 emulator posted
>>on this net a while ago and I tried it at home.  It seemed no problem
>>until I ran emacs.  My screen was completely garbaged after I started
>>the emacs.
>
>The problem is that, as a host-based editor, Emacs just *LOVES* to dump tons
>of cursor positioning commands down to a terminal.  Lil' ol' Mac can't quite
>hack it (actually the emulator can't) at 1200 baud, so the emulator is flagging
>off.  Probably fairly often, too.  Unfortunately, the standard XON/XOFF
>flagging protocol sends a CTRL-S for XOFF, which gets passed directly to the
>application, Emacs, invoking an incremental search.  (I'm assuming this is the
>command for your particular Emacs; it is for mine.  It doesn't really matter
>what the command is.)

	Sounds to me that the problem is not so much with the Mac itself, but with
the terminal emulator in questions.  Since the Mac can handle input at 19.2Kb
and above without any problem (I use the Telebit Trailblazer very frequently),
it sounds like the emulator that you are using can not handle the character
influx.  I use MicroPhone II for my VT100 emulation and find it flawless. I use
it with vi and Emacs and have had NO problems at 2400 baud.  So you might want
to look into another emulator to solve your problems (and also to give you such
features as file transfers, scripting capabilities, etc.)

Disclaimer: I am employeed by Software Ventures and therefore have a vested
interest in MicroPhone II.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (06/27/88)

I have had the same problems with Gosling (aka UniPress) Emacs.  I have had
none of those problems with GNU Emacs.  It turns out that Gosmacs is a lot less
terminal independent than GNU.  While there are some nice features of Gosmacs
(mainly in the packages), I prefer to use GNU because it works just about
everywhere.  I use it on my Mac+ (using MicroPhone II to emulate a VT100), on
HP terminals and even in windows on my workstation that emulate either VT100's
or HP terminals.  All I've ever had to do with GNU Emacs is change the setting
of my TERM environment variable.

Steve Witten                    steve%hpiacla@hplabs.HP.COM
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla

"...I'm no fool! Nosirree!..." -- J. Cricket

miller@pokey.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Steven M. Miller) (10/29/88)

Does anyone know of a vt100 terminal emulator that makes correct
use of the extended keyboard on an SE?

I'm requesting this for a friend and do not read this group so
please reply directly to me.

Thanks!

-Steve

miller@src.honeywell.com