[comp.sys.mac] Pyro! 3.0 problems

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (10/25/88)

The new version of pyro works much better, but I found that it doesn't
work too well with some applications.  In Red Ryder 10.3 (to name one),
when you move the cursor to the sleep now corner or let the timmer
dim the screen, a white outline of the cursor flickers on and off like
crazy.  This is very distracting.  (My system: Mac II, sys 5.0 software,
lots of memory.)

Another problem is the anoying (but otherwise harmless) freeze which
occurs every now and again (ie, the display of the fireworks freezes
for a moment).  The documentation explained that this might happen,
but nothing was going on at the time!

One last complaint (as long as I've got your ear): Why can't I set the
timeout for an arbitrary number of minutes?  You don't provide enough
check boxes--5 minutes is too short but 15 minutes is too long.  Why
can't you let me typein a number?

In spite of these drawbacks, Pyro! is still my only used screen saver!

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{uflorida, codas}!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

brecher@well.UUCP (Steve Brecher) (10/29/88)

In article <1148@usfvax2.EDU>,  pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock)
writes:
> [With Pyro! 3.0] In Red Ryder 10.3 ..., when you move the cursor to
> the sleep now corner or let the timer dim the screen, a white outline
> of the cursor flickers on and off like crazy.

Fixed in 3.1.  3.1 will be released RSN.  When it is, an updater
application will be posted to the nets.  (Maybe to THIS net by
somebody else, as I haven't succeeded yet in binary uploading to
my Usenet site.)

> Another problem is the anoying (but otherwise harmless) freeze which
> occurs every now and again (ie, the display of the fireworks freezes
> for a moment).  The documentation explained that this might happen,
> but nothing was going on at the time!

Are you running under MultiFinder with background printing enabled?  If
so, Backgrounder sniffs around for things to print every five seconds.

> One last complaint (as long as I've got your ear): Why can't I set the
> timeout for an arbitrary number of minutes?  You don't provide enough
> check boxes--5 minutes is too short but 15 minutes is too long.  Why
> can't you let me typein a number?

Noted; thanks.