[comp.sys.mac] My sick Mac

philip@hubcap.UUCP (Philip L Harshman) (10/24/88)

My Mac (a Plus with still only 1 Meg of memory) has started to behave
strangely.  Sometimes on boot-up, it will refuse to load the Finder and when
I do a restart, I will get the sick Mac icon with the number "0F000A" under
it.  I can always get it to load if I try a couple of times, but this is
annoying.  I am running with lots of INITs and the amount of memory used
during startup is variable thanks to Randomizer.  I have not encountered
this problem when I didn't have my INITs in the System Folder, but since the
problem is intermittent anyway, that doesn't mean much.  I am still using
the Systems Tools 5.0 release since we haven't gotten 6.0.2 here yet and a
Photon 30 drive.

My local repair person can't find any reference to that error code, so I'm
appealing to the net for help.  I would suspect a software problem and hope
that reinstalling the system (or upgrading to the new one) will make it go
away, but I was under the impression that the sick Mac codes were for
hardware problems discovered by the self tests.  Can software generate a
sick Mac icon?  Or am I definitely going to have to take my Mac in for
surgery?   Thanks all.
--
Philip Harshman                         uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!philip
Employed by Clemson University         	inet: philip@hubcap.clemson.edu

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (10/29/88)

In article <3331@hubcap.UUCP> philip@hubcap.UUCP (Philip L Harshman) writes:
>My Mac (a Plus with still only 1 Meg of memory) has started to behave
>strangely.  Sometimes on boot-up, it will refuse to load the Finder and when
>I do a restart, I will get the sick Mac icon with the number "0F000A" under

That code indicates that the 68000 fell through an F-trap *after* the
hardware diagnostics were passed, but before the system was completely
installed. I'd suggest you to change your system and, if the error still
occurs sporadically, check if an INIT is the culprit. I don't believe
this is a hardware error, although it still might be one, you never
know...

-- Danny

| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |