[comp.sys.mac] 6.0.2 laserwriter bug

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/27/88)

Has anyone else noticed problems with the new laserwriter stuff in 6.0.2? If
you turn on "unlimited downloadable fonts" it will occasionally botch out a
font change and print some text out in Courier. It's not cleanly
reproducible, but I see it fairly consistently.

Also, while they do document that printing with that option turned on will
be slower, I find the speed loss to be somewhere between painful and
unacceptable. A page with four fonts (garamond, garamond bold, and Univers
in both 45 and 65) will print out in a couple of minutes normally -- last
night, turning on the option, it took 20. ugh!

Any suggestions on how to optimize pages for printing in the new regime? My
guess (untried) is to download the common fonts and lock them in memory,
which will force MORE swapping for the lesser faces. Anyone got a better
feel for this stuff?

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (10/29/88)

>Has anyone else noticed problems with the new laserwriter stuff in 6.0.2? If
>you turn on "unlimited downloadable fonts" it will occasionally botch out a
>font change and print some text out in Courier. It's not cleanly
>reproducible, but I see it fairly consistently.

Have definitely NEVER seen this one, and we have 10 Macs driving 2 LW+ at the
office. Nor have I seen it in my home system, Mac+ & LW+, downloading the Stone
set repeatedly.

>Also, while they do document that printing with that option turned on will
>be slower, I find the speed loss to be somewhere between painful and
>unacceptable. A page with four fonts (garamond, garamond bold, and Univers
>in both 45 and 65) will print out in a couple of minutes normally -- last
>night, turning on the option, it took 20. ugh!

I have not noticed this either. At work, we have PostScript Version 42.0, at
home I have the older and slower Version 38.?, and in neither case will a
complex page of downloaded stuff take more than about 1.5 min.

>Any suggestions on how to optimize pages for printing in the new regime? My
>guess (untried) is to download the common fonts and lock them in memory,
>which will force MORE swapping for the lesser faces. Anyone got a better
>feel for this stuff?

Sounds about right as a guess, but I wouldn't hard load more than two, because
you have really only memory enough for 3 simultaneously. There was a company
who was making a 1Meg add-on board for LW & LW+, but they stopped producing it
because the memory was getting too expensive. They wouldn't even sell me an
empty board, because they simply didn't have any left. Too bad, because they
weren't using 1Meg SIMMs, but 256K SIMMs. Forgot the company's name, but could
look it up if necessary. Anyway, it would give you 24 downloadable fonts, which
I would still like.

A final not on this: PageMaker (at least 3.0) has ALWAYS had the "unlimited
downloadable fonts" feature built in. They really were doing something valuable
with their own Aldus Prep file besides hairlines. It works flawlessly and
pretty quickly. But then, Chuq, you've always been a RSG man. . . :-)

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (10/29/88)

In article <74884@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Has anyone else noticed problems with the new laserwriter stuff in 6.0.2? If
>you turn on "unlimited downloadable fonts" it will occasionally botch out a
>font change and print some text out in Courier. It's not cleanly
>reproducible, but I see it fairly consistently.
>
>Also, while they do document that printing with that option turned on will
>be slower, I find the speed loss to be somewhere between painful and
>unacceptable. A page with four fonts (garamond, garamond bold, and Univers
>in both 45 and 65) will print out in a couple of minutes normally -- last
>night, turning on the option, it took 20. ugh!
>

>Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
>Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

I too have seen the mysterious font switching problem.  I just assumed that
it was Microsoft that botched things (usually a safe assumption :-) )

I haven't noticed any speed differences, but I am using an NTX with a 20MB
hard disk with all my fonts loaded on the disk.  So it would appear that the
bottleneck is in the transmission of fonts.  Suprise, suprise.

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie               "How much is a Jasmine hard disk *without*
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis              the keyboard?"
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu          - Weird computer customer question of
AppleLink: ST0178                         the week

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (10/30/88)

In article <3366@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>Has anyone else noticed problems with the new laserwriter stuff in 6.0.2? If
>>you turn on "unlimited downloadable fonts" it will occasionally botch out a
>>font change and print some text out in Courier. It's not cleanly
>>reproducible, but I see it fairly consistently.
>
>Have definitely NEVER seen this one, and we have 10 Macs driving 2 LW+ at the
>office. Nor have I seen it in my home system, Mac+ & LW+, downloading the Stone
>set repeatedly.
> (etc.)

A few months ago I had a similar problem using XPress (and only XPress;
everything else printed fine).  I phoned Quark (the makers of XPress) and was
told that they had a minor inconsistency with the lates Laserwriter software
(I had just upgraded to 6).  If there was a consistent cause for the problem,
I never found it.  They advised reverting to the previous versions of the LW
stuff until they could send me an update.  I did, and they did, and everything
has been fine since.  Why didn't they send the update automatically?  Not
everyone had the problem.  I have no idea whether this has any bearing on your
problem but you might consider the same courses of action.

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X