[comp.sys.mac] MAX disk drives

lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) (10/29/88)

What's the deal with MAX disk drives?
They are advertised (in MacWeek) as 80mb drives,
12 ms seek time, and cost $977.
30 day money back, 2 year warranty.

Anybody got anything to say about them?

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (10/29/88)

In article <12700@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>What's the deal with MAX disk drives?
>They are advertised (in MacWeek) as 80mb drives,
>12 ms seek time, and cost $977.
>30 day money back, 2 year warranty.
>
>Anybody got anything to say about them?

I have purchased 4 of them and couldn't be happier.  They are Quantum's
new 3.5 inch drives.  The mechanism operates at 19 ms but they have an
on-board 64K cache which they claim gives you about 12 ms.

I'm not quite sure if it is 12 ms, but they seem to be as fast or faster
than my 90meg CDC Wren drive, which I had previously thought the fastest
available.  And the price is great.

Hardware House has been prompt and courteous every time I've called.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford Univerity

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (10/29/88)

In article <12700@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>What's the deal with MAX disk drives?
>They are advertised (in MacWeek) as 80mb drives,
>12 ms seek time, and cost $977.
>30 day money back, 2 year warranty.
>
>Anybody got anything to say about them?

Well I've had my MAX-80i in my II for a week (replaced a 40 meg) and it's been
great.  The drive itself is from Quantum's new line of 3 1/2" Hard Drives
which will replace the old 250/280   5 1/4" line (these are what apple has been
using for 40 and 8o meg for a while).

The actual acces time is something like 18 ms  but there is a cache on the
controller that gives an average access of 12ms over time supposedly.

The drive definitely screams.

I am not sure why they (Hardware House) has been up till now one of the few
outfits offering the drive.  I expect it to start getting pretty popular soon.

Disclaimer:  I am friends with someone working (short term while they deal
with their sudden immense popularity) for Hardware House.

Josh Hodas

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

anderss@uplog.se (Anders Sjolund) (10/30/88)

In article <12700@duke.cs.duke.edu> lsn@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Lars S. Nyland) writes:

>What's the deal with MAX disk drives?
>They are advertised (in MacWeek) as 80mb drives,
>12 ms seek time, and cost $977.
>30 day money back, 2 year warranty.
>
>Anybody got anything to say about them?

They are Quantum PD80S drives. This is a highly integrated 3.5" drive, with
onboard disk cache (this is why the average seek time seems so fast). I have no
experience with the MAX product, but I've played with a bare PD80S on a Mac.
The drive is fast, silent and does not use much in the way of power. Overall
impression: a very nice drive. Since I had to give the drive up after a week,
I really can't say anything about reliability other than that the drive worked
perfectly during this time.

BTW, I modified the Apple SCSI driver/formatter utility for the PD80S. Since
the driver recognizes the Quantum Q280 which is the same size, and has the same
command set, all I had to do was change the one occurence of the string "Q280"
with "PD80s" in the formatter code to make it recognize the drive. I am not
sure if I made it use the cache, but it was fast enough.

If the driver software bundled with the MAX product is the modified Apple
utility I can understand the low price. After all, a metal bracket can't cost
that much, can it ? :-)

Happy Mac'ing / anderss@uplog.se
--
Real life:      Anders Sjolund                  Email:  anderss@uplog.se
Snail mail:     TeleLOGIC Uppsala AB            Phone:  +46 18 189409