[comp.sys.mac] Networking Mac's and Apple's

c60a-2ce@e260-2c.berkeley.edu (Mikey) (10/23/88)

I am currently running a Mac/Apple BBS that supports file transfers for both
machines. The board itself is being run off of my Apple //e (the peon!). As
it is, I have to transfer Mac files back & forth via null modem cable.

I want to know if there is a faster (19.2K bps is too slow for the amount
of transfers I do), more efficient way of doing this. Specifically, can I
network my 2 computers so that either one can get files directly off the
other one's hard disk? How much extra hardware/software will this require?
What is the most economical route I can take?
Please reply via e-mail; I just don't have enough time to go thru
the entire newsgroup. Thanks a lot!
c60a-2ce@web.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu...................Mikey
*** Call Tanelorn III! (415) 540-1180. The Apple/Mac BBS of Berkeley.

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/25/88)

Using the Apple File exchange program on your mac, you can directly
read and write 3.5" prodos disks in your Mac disk drive.

I had just finished getting the proper cable and had stretched it
across the room between my apple // and my mac to find out it was too
short.  Right before I strangled myself with it I thought of the Apple
File exchange program.

I gave it a try, launched it and inserted a Prodos formatted floppy.
It recognized it and copied files without a problem.  Whew!  No more
cables, terminal programs and obscure telecomm settings.

Seymour

shankar@src.honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (10/25/88)

In article <Oct.24.16.56.28.1988.21421@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Using the Apple File exchange program on your mac, you can directly
>read and write 3.5" prodos disks in your Mac disk drive.

Does anybody know of any decent translaters for AFE?
The only ones I have seen are the Appleworks <--> Microsoft Works
translaters (and text files off course), and it would be nice to
have translaters for other typical formats.

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (10/31/88)

>In article <> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Using the Apple File exchange program on your mac, you can directly
>read and write 3.5" prodos disks in your Mac disk drive.

On this subject, has anyone *ever* sucessfully read 5 1/4 Prodos disks using
AFE and the apple 5.25 disk drive? Every time I try, I get the message, this
disk is not readable, do you want to initialise?

I too, would be interested in addons to AFE to read formats, partically
Wordstar to MacWrite or MS Word.

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.