[comp.sys.mac] SUM-support for Jasmine-owners

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/31/88)

In article <1036@fai.UUCP>, dalea@fai.UUCP (Dale M. Arends) writes:
> Here is an interesting situation.  When I purchased my hard disk from
> Jasmine, it came with the Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh (SUM)
> on it.  This was not a surprise since they advertise the fact.  However,
> according to Symantec, that does NOT make me a valid user/owner of the
> software and, thus, cannot be a registered owner unless I purchase
> another copy of the package.

	while, maybe, *INTERESTING*, you might have come up with the
	*OBVIOUS* solution to the situation ...

	while not privy to the details, I have been assured and feel
	certain that JASMINE got the rights to distribute SUM with
	their disks at very favorable to terms;  under those terms
	JASMINE is able and supposed to provide support services
	to buyers of their disks.  if anyone tells you different,
	please let me know.  I think we can agree, that whereas a
	person obtains rights to the use of SUM with the purchase
	of a JASMINE disk, it would not be reasonable to expect
	Symantec to provide support services.  Of course, lawyers
	can overlook or insert many a sneaky clause in a contract...:-(

> ...(Re: upgrades) ...I am not notified nor eligible to receive them.

	depending on what your purchase agreement with JASMINE says,
	that may well be true;  and JASMINE may well not be under
	any obligations to you regarding software on their disks
	(any lawyer worth his salt made sure of that).... however,
	I have in the past, voluntarily, supported MacZAP users on
	the nets, and will continue to do so for SUM, though we should
	all applaud and encourage the effort Symantec has made in the
	past to support their products themselves in examplatory fashion
	(none better!!) - only a few weeks ago, a Symantec representative
	had made several "updates" of the SUM-Inits available here,
	only to have some people sneer about "another byg-fix?  you guys
	don't test your software enough!".  the result now is, that we
	haven't heard much from Symantec since... not counting the
	failed attempt to upload and distribute the "latest" INIT-updates
	(Tony made the understandable mistake to upload a file hexed with
	BinHex5 rather than Binhex4).

	but those updates are available on the commercial services
	(CompuServe and others, I believe...) to you, JASMINE, and
	everyone else....

	TANSTAAFLATT, (there ain't .... free lunch ALL THE TIME!)

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/31/88)

>> Here is an interesting situation.  When I purchased my hard disk from
>> Jasmine, it came with the Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh (SUM)
>> on it.  This was not a surprise since they advertise the fact.  However,
>> according to Symantec, that does NOT make me a valid user/owner of the
>> software and, thus, cannot be a registered owner unless I purchase
>> another copy of the package.

According to the Symantec folks on Compuserve, Jasmine is supposed to be
printing up registration cards for SUM and mailing them out to all
registered Jasmine users.

Until then, you probably want to call Jasmine about support, or talk to the
Symantec folks on Compuserve.... You can, for instance, get the updated
INIT's on CompuServe, as well as a lot of feedback and help.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

It's not justice you want, Roderick! It's blood!