[comp.sys.mac] Help Please! Mac IIx and New Rodime formatter/installer/driver

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (10/16/88)

Greetings,

I am now the would be proud owner of a IIx with a Rodime 140 internal
HD.  The system is very flakey, and I would appreciate any
thoughts or suggestions.

The problem: Seemingly random disk write errors doing Finder level
file copies from my XP40 to the Rodime.  Frequent "Can not move file"
or "Can not create folder (unknown error)" messages when moving
files around on the Rodime.  Occassional failures to boot from the
Rodime.  The XP40 works solo with any problem.

Configuration:
Mac IIx with 4 meg
Rodime 140 meg with the NEW driver (2.02)
System 6.0.2 (shrink wrapped from Apple)

Suspicion:
Rodime's driver uses blind SCSI I/O and the timing occassionally
gets screwed. Am I right? Is there a patch?
Thanks in advance for any help

Ira Rampil
Department of Anesthesia
UCSF

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (10/31/88)

In article <1430@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) writes:
> Configuration:
> Mac IIx with 4 meg
> Rodime 140 meg with the NEW driver (2.02)
> System 6.0.2 (shrink wrapped from Apple)
>
> Ira Rampil
> Department of Anesthesia
> UCSF

 I don't know if this helps any, but Rodime has released version 2.0.3 now.
I know it fixed some bugs w/ AU/X partitions but that's about it.  Check
SCSI Terminators--  they've burned me in the past -- Rodime drives are
very sensitive to out of whack levels on the the SCSI bus-- they boot
& seem to work fine, but then get really flakey.

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken