[comp.sys.mac] DTP package for a neophite

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (10/28/88)

It has been determined that a staff assistant in our department will be
in charge of producing a 5 page newsletter for our research group.  She
knows nothing about the mac but is artistic and computer literate.  We
have a macII and laserwriterIInt but no software besides WORD 3.02.  The
newsletter will be conventional with some mac graphics, scanned images,
and 2 column text.

Which DTP package would be best suited to such an application?

Is the thunderscanner high quality enough to reproduce photographs for the
newletter or do I need to go to better ($$$) scanner?  I have been told that
the software on the thunderscanner makes it comparable to the expensive
models.  The assistant will have to scan the images so it has to be easy to
use.

Thanks for the help, I will summarize to the net.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/28/88)

>It has been determined that a staff assistant in our department will be
>in charge of producing a 5 page newsletter for our research group.  She
>knows nothing about the mac but is artistic and computer literate.

PageMaker is standard. Ready, Set, Go! 4.0 is powerful, easier to learn,
less expensive and good for multi-page documents such as newsletters
(OtherRealms, at 60 pages, is done in RSG. I wouldn't try it in PageMaker
prior to 3.0, and I'm not sure how well it would work there yet).

>Is the thunderscanner high quality enough to reproduce photographs for the
>newletter or do I need to go to better ($$$) scanner?

No, It's not. Neither is a 300 DPI scanner unless you want washed out,
blurry semi-representations of the original photograph. If it needs to be
halftoned, the technology isn't there yet in any affordable scanner.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

markley@celece.ucsd.edu (Mike Markley) (11/01/88)

In article <75082@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Is the thunderscanner high quality enough to reproduce photographs for the
>>newletter or do I need to go to better ($$$) scanner?
>
>No, It's not. Neither is a 300 DPI scanner unless you want washed out,
>blurry semi-representations of the original photograph. If it needs to be
>halftoned, the technology isn't there yet in any affordable scanner.
>
>Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ
>Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms

I have owned a Thunderscanner for a long time and have been
very
happy with the quality of the scan.  Since it saves the
information as six bit per pixel grayscale it is possible
to get very good results when printing.  I also would
recommend getting Digital Darkroom from Silicon Beach
Software.  This program allows the user to process the
picture then save it as a TIFF file.  I have been very
impressed with the abilities of Digital Darkroom and
would recommend it.  Pictures that I have printed to
a LaserWriter have been more than adequate for distribution
and photocopying.

Mike Markley
CAE systems Administrator UCSD ECE Dept.