[comp.sys.mac] NFS under MacOS

greg@griffin.itc.gu.oz (Greg Watson) (10/20/88)

I hope this question hasn't been asked too many times before, but here
goes.

Does anyone know of an implementation of NFS for the Mac under MacOS?
I've heard a rumor that the University of Michigan has developed a
version. Is this the case? If so, could someone please tell me how
I can obtain a copy?

If anyone in Australia is reading this and knows of a copy, could
they let me know also?

Thanks,

Greg

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/21/88)

In article <137@griffin.itc.gu.oz> greg@griffin.itc.gu.oz (Greg Watson) writes:
>Does anyone know of an implementation of NFS for the Mac under MacOS?
>I've heard a rumor that the University of Michigan has developed a
>version. Is this the case? If so, could someone please tell me how
>I can obtain a copy?

They've been working on it for over two years now; I don't know the status.

TOPS announced some time ago that TOPS would be "merged" with NFS, which
means throwing out the TOPS protocol and replacing it with the NFS protocol,
in real life.  When I left, they were still staggering toward that goal,
but the marketeers (the only people whose opinions really count) were having
some second thoughts.  Something about requiring an incompatible upgrade
that doubles the RAM overhead while providing no new features just didn't
seem like much of an end-user turn-on.  They may have changed plans again.

Finally, unconfirmed reports are the the Grasshopper Group plans to include
a Mac NFS with a future version of its MacNews software.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts

sys_ms@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) (11/02/88)

In article <5722@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
> In article <137@griffin.itc.gu.oz> greg@griffin.itc.gu.oz (Greg Watson) writes:
>
> Finally, unconfirmed reports are the the Grasshopper Group plans to include
> a Mac NFS with a future version of its MacNews software.

What is MacNews?

> --
> Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
> "Conversion, fastidious Goddess, loves blood better than brick, and feasts
>  most subtly on the human will." - Virginia Woolf, "Mrs. Dalloway"
--
		Mats Sundvall

		Biomedical Center		+46/18174583
		University of Uppsala		Mats.Sundvall@BMC.UU.SE