[comp.sys.mac] Mixing old drivers with new System

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/01/88)

I would like to upgrade my Mac at work to 6.0.2.  It is linked by
PhoneNet to a LaserWriter+ along with a half dozen or so other Macs
running system release 5 (sys 4.2 / finder 6.0).  I don't want at this
time to try to get everyone to move to the new system, however.  I
assume that the LW files in the new release would be incompatible and
would cause continual reinitializing of the LW as various members of
our net used the printer.

Question: anyone know of a reason I can't upgrade my Mac+ to 6.0.2 and
then replace the LW files with the release 5.0 versions?

	Thanks / JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (11/01/88)

In article <31624@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
#>I would like to upgrade my Mac at work to 6.0.2.  It is linked by
#>PhoneNet to a LaserWriter+ along with a half dozen or so other Macs
#>running system release 5 (sys 4.2 / finder 6.0).  I don't want at this
#>time to try to get everyone to move to the new system, however.  I
#>assume that the LW files in the new release would be incompatible and
#>would cause continual reinitializing of the LW as various members of
#>our net used the printer.
#>
#>Question: anyone know of a reason I can't upgrade my Mac+ to 6.0.2 and
#>then replace the LW files with the release 5.0 versions?
#>
#>	Thanks / JBL
#>
#>
#>UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
#>INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

I had a similar problem but came up with the opposite solution,
which seems to work. I upgraded my Mac II and a Mac plus, both
with hard disks, to 6.0.2. But then I found that there isn't room
on a floppy for the new system along with TOPS for an SE and a
plus which don't have hard disks. The two versions of the driver
in our TOPS network meant that each time a different driver was
used the printer was slowly reset. So I left the old system on
those machines but upgraded their laser prep and laserwriter
files. Everything seems to work fine.

Steve Goldfield

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (11/01/88)

In article <16281@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) writes:
>In article <31624@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>#>I would like to upgrade my Mac at work to 6.0.2.  It is linked by
>#>PhoneNet to a LaserWriter+ along with a half dozen or so other Macs
>#>running system release 5 (sys 4.2 / finder 6.0).  I don't want at this
>#>time to try to get everyone to move to the new system, however.  I
>#>assume that the LW files in the new release would be incompatible and
>#>would cause continual reinitializing of the LW as various members of
>#>our net used the printer.
>#>
>#>Question: anyone know of a reason I can't upgrade my Mac+ to 6.0.2 and
>#>then replace the LW files with the release 5.0 versions?
>#>
>#>	Thanks / JBL
>#>

That's exactly what I did. The manual says that you won't be able to do
background printing under MultiFinder, but you can. So far, I'm the only
one using System 6 out of about 30 other Macs, and we're all printing just
fine.

Shirley Kehr

[dead space so I can post this]

---

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (11/02/88)

In article <31624@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>assume that the LW files in the new release would be incompatible and
>would cause continual reinitializing of the LW as various members of
>our net used the printer.

Absolutely correct.

>Question: anyone know of a reason I can't upgrade my Mac+ to 6.0.2 and
>then replace the LW files with the release 5.0 versions?

It's even easier than that. Install 6.0.2. Then STOP. You're done.
Printer driver installation is a different step.

I've been using version 5.0 with the version 4.0
LW drivers since 5.0 came out. Now I'm using version 6.0.2 with those
same drivers. No problems.

>	Thanks / JBL

	You're welcome.

--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/02/88)

In article <31624@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>Question: anyone know of a reason I can't upgrade my Mac+ to 6.0.2 and
>then replace the LW files with the release 5.0 versions?

I've used the release 5.0 LaserWriter drivers with release 6.0, 6.01 and now
6.02 (I use the Cntl-F option, save the PostScript to a file, upload it to
Unix and then dump it to a LaserWriter via lpr).  No problems whatsoever.

                           "Filthy bag of Lovecraftian poison -- nobody fucks
                            with Monsieur Boche!"
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...