[comp.sys.mac] Mac II and GIFFER pictures...

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (11/03/88)

Hi all...
   I have a problem with GIFFER 1.0 and its files that I thought some
kind soul would be able to help me with...
I have Giffer and a number of pictures in GIFf format. I can unpack
them and display them fine on my macII, and I can also save them in
PICT or Startupscreen format. Great. BUT, when I display these pictures
using any other means, by using them as a startupscreen or by using
Image or other graphics/image processors (PixelPaint, for example,) They
show up fine BUT THEIR COLORS ARE ALL TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I presume this
is because the current palette is different from the one used by the
picture..however, Giffer manages to figure it out.  Is there any way to
save this 'palette data' so that the pictures would appear on a
startupscreen with their own colors? or, is there a way to save the data
in the form of an Image 'palette', a PixelPaint palette or an
ATG-images CLUT?   This question is being asked by a naive person, so
the answer may be glaringly obvious...please feel free to explain this
to me...basically I want to save the images as startupscreens with their
own color schemes, but any method of importing the picture to anywhere
I could edit it would be appreciated...Thanks!
					JBZimmerman!
--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (11/04/88)

In article <4234@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>PICT or Startupscreen format. Great. BUT, when I display these pictures
>using any other means, by using them as a startupscreen or by using
>Image or other graphics/image processors (PixelPaint, for example,) They
>show up fine BUT THEIR COLORS ARE ALL TOTALLY DIFFERENT! I presume this

The problem, as you noticed, is that the color palette is different.  Although
the palette is saved with a PICT, which is what your startupscreen document
is, for some brain damaged reason the palette is ignored in startupscreens
and the default Apple palette is used.  I've never looked into this closely
to see if there is some way around it.  I doubt it -- the SUS is loaded
before any INITs are loaded.  What I've done is just use a picture that
doesn't have any delicate shading.  They typically look pretty good in the
default palette.

--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --