[comp.sys.mac] The OFFICIAL Jasmine/SUM registration answer

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/03/88)

This is from the Symantec group on compuserve. It's the official position on
Sum registration for Jasmine buyers. Note: Redux is also doing something
similar.

chuq
----
#: 14671 S4/Macintosh SUM
    01-Nov-88  09:50:17
Sb: Jasmine/SUM Registration
Fm: Tony Dellett 76117,741
To: All

For Jasmine owners that recieved SUM bundled on their drives, here's the
official story.

Jasmine is creating a registration card for future SUM bundles. This card will
be sent to us and entered in our registration database just like it was
purchased from us.

For already existing owners, don't worry. As long as you have sent in your
Jasmine registration card, your'e okay. We will be merging Jasmine's database
with ours prior to any upgrade notices being sent.

If you wish the 1.02 update, that is available here in Lib 4 or you can call in
and have a disk sent to you.

Sorry this was so long in coming.
Tony Dellett
Symantec Corp.
Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

It's not justice you want, Roderick! It's blood!

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (11/03/88)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>This is from the Symantec group on compuserve. It's the official position on
>Sum registration for Jasmine buyers.
>
>Jasmine is creating a registration card for future SUM bundles. This card will
>be sent to us and entered in our registration database just like it was
>purchased from us.
>
>Tony Dellett
>Symantec Corp.

Oh, good.  Now Jasmine drive owners can get the same *lousy* (or
maybe non-existant) support that SUM purchasers get:

I called their (toll call) "support" line starting on a Thursday
early morning.  I got a voice mail box saying it would be 8 to 10
working hours before I'd get a response.  That was bad enough,
but after twice-daily (on average) calls to them for the next
*FIVE (business) DAYS*, I finally got a call back.  Of course, I
wasn't here to get the call.  I spoke with two or three human
types in addition to the voice-mail box (when it wasn't full),
and they kept assuring me that they'd walk the message right back
there, and I'd be called "right away."

These people should be probihited from selling software.  They
are absolutely unconcerned about their users.  The package is
pretty, the programs have a fairly pretty front-end to the
original MacZap, but they apparantly think that's all they need
to do.  Yet another example of greed and expansion uber alles.

And I won't even talk about what's happened to Think's products.
--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe  1634 Walnut  Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "Facts are stupid things."  Ronald Wilson Reagan, New Orleans, 1988
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

elliot@well.UUCP (Elliot Fabric) (11/04/88)

I bought the S.U.M. utilities from Symantec yesterday. Promptly
installed the the crash recovery stuff and threw out my now
antiquated CPS Tagfix and Init Crashguard, etc.

Lots of screwy things started happening on my SE. I called Symantec
and they asked the version mumber of Program Disk 2. I told them it
was v. 1.02. I was told not to use it because the inits were corrupted
on that run of disks. They are mailing me new disks.

Something unnerving here. A company selling software protection that doesn't
work right. I bet there are a lot of people using SUM not knowing it isn't
working. Symantec told me not to use it until the new disks arrive.
They ought to be recalling the bad disks or at least putting the word
out through their dealers not to rely on the v 1.02 run and certainly not
to get rid of other reliable protection schemes until this is straightened out.

The other mickey I got slipped has to do with not mentioning certain
Multifinder compatibility problems until Page Eight of their Welcome
Chapter, which is of course, shrink wrapped. The mention goes like this,
"...we recommend you do not run any SUM program under MultiFinder.
Uh, Symantec, would you put important information like that on
the OUTSIDE of the package.

SUM may be great utilities, but thus far I am not impressed.

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (11/05/88)

In article <7547@well.UUCP> mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) writes:
>chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>This is from the Symantec group on compuserve. It's the official position on
>>Sum registration for Jasmine buyers.
...stuff deleted

>Oh, good.  Now Jasmine drive owners can get the same *lousy* (or
>maybe non-existant) support that SUM purchasers get:

...summary of complaint...

>These people should be probihited from selling software.  They
>are absolutely unconcerned about their users.  The package is
>pretty, the programs have a fairly pretty front-end to the
>original MacZap, but they apparantly think that's all they need
>to do.  Yet another example of greed and expansion uber alles.
>
>And I won't even talk about what's happened to Think's products.
>--
>Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo

Well, I can't complain.  I ordered an upgrade from MacZap in July, and
hadn't received anything by October, so decided to enquire.  I got in
touch via Compuserve, found out that the order had been shipped in July.
I hadn't received it so it had been lost courtesy of UPS.  Symantec
immediately shipped another copy which arrived within a fortnight.
I guess I had the advantage that I now have INITs that worked right the
first time, but I was also impressed with the alacrity with which Judi
Lowenstein took care of my problem.  I guess it depends on who you talk
to at Symantec.
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
UUCP: alberta!simon  |  BITNET: stortike@ualtavm  |  AGT: +1 403 432-3338